Waterfowl Gun

levi431

Inactive
Looking to buy another gun for waterfowl hunting. what is everyones favorite. looking for another semi auto. Favorites? ones to stay away from?

I think so. Mine's been going strong for something like 18 years. I spend way more each year in shells than the per-year cost of my shotgun (or at least I used to before I moved to the high plains). Other brands will probably serve you just as well, but when I get my son a this-is-yours-for-a-long-time duck gun, it'll be a Benelli.

Lots to choose from, handle as many as you can before buying. A few years ago I picked up a Browning Maxus and I'm happy with it, it is dependable and lightweight. Prior to that I had an 11-87 Supermag that was very finicky about being clean but shot well when it was.

I didn't like the fit/feel of the Benelli.

I was looking for something after I decided that my Remington 870 was going to be a dedicated slug gun for deer. I looked at the Remington 11-87, Benelli SBEII, the Beretta and the Browning Maxus.

I decided on the Maxus. Man that thing is great. It isn't heavy so if you want to us it dove hunting or other small game hunting it doesn't wear you out carrying it around. It is super easy to break down and clean. I can put a 2 3/4 inch, a 3 inch and a 3.5 inch shell in that thing in any order and it will suck them down. It handles target loads with no problem.

I have an 11-87 now. liked it when I got it. but it just doesn't feel quite right for me anymore. its still a good gun. but I just want something different. can never have to many guns haha

There are 2 schools of thought and they are hotly contested.

The inertia action Benelli's are much lighter than the gas guns. Their systems are simple and tend to work very reliably even if filthy. Which can happen in a duck blind. I think of them as being as durable and rugged as a pump, that pumps its self. Because of the inertia system and lighter weight they do recoil more. But no more than a pump or double.

I really like the Benelli M-1 I have. The newer M-2 is even better, but I'm content with my older gun. The SBE takes 3.5" shells which I don't want.

The gas guns such as the 11-87, Winchester or Beretta's tend to be heavier. Given reasonable care are just as reliable, but could choke a little easier if mud, snow or ice becomes a factor. Because of the gas system and more weight they are soft shooters, especially with heavier loads.

To me the Benelli's features are more important to me. But I've owned the 11-87 and Beretta in the past. Can't say a bad thing about either. I just find the Benelli suits my hunting style better.

Decide whether you want a gas gun or inertia first.

I didn't like the fit/feel of the Benelli.

I never much cared for the SBE, but I really like the M1
I have lots of friends that love Benellis, and they don't baby them at all

One even "lost" his for a while when he put it on top of his truck and drove off.

Even after sliding down the road a ways, it just had a few scratches, but still worked fine

Back