Watch for snagged clothing in your holster

I was at a Steel Challenge match last weekend where an experienced competitor shot himself in the leg the same way on the "load and make ready" command. Was a wakeup call for me! Has me rethinking my carry rig actually.

Last edited:
I think you don't see it that often because in a gun store, most people aren't allowed to draw their guns loaded like that.
my bet is since the owner knew he was the chief, he was allowed some special treatment.

at home, you wouldn't be reholstering like that with a jacket on.
in fact, I try to put the holster on with the gun in it, rather then try to holster my edc.

The Chief's gunhandling is frightening. Notice the way he points his intended purchase directly at his off-hand palm....:eek:

And note that he shot himself once before; that's what they call a 'clue', I think.

Larry

This is why I am always back and forth on carry guns having a manual safety or not. Geez. Glad everyone is okay and thanks for sharing.

Spurless handguns; DA only....

For many years I've used spurless(bob or no hammer spur) handguns.
As a kid in the 1980s, I heard a media report of a plainclothes police detective who was nearly killed while making an arrest of a violent fugitive. The cop's hammer spur got caught on his parka as he drew it. :eek:
That event always stuck with me.
Striker fired pistols like the Glocks, XDs, PPQs, Ruger SRs, etc do not have spurs so they are less likely to snag or get strung up on clothing.

Clyde

As a kid in the 1980s, I heard a media report of a plainclothes police detective who was nearly killed while making an arrest of a violent fugitive. The cop's hammer spur got caught on his parka as he drew it.

Snagging the hammer spur on a revolver during the draw will not cock it, you are moving it the wrong way. It may have been an excuse for sloppy gun handling.

Striker fired pistols like the Glocks, XDs, PPQs, Ruger SRs, etc do not have spurs so they are less likely to snag or get strung up on clothing.

It has been a known issue for several years. Several years before I retired we had an Officer Safety bulletin about the draw cord either sticking in the holster or the trigger guard. All my draw strings were removed anywhere around a holster years ago.

I think you don't see it that often because in a gun store, most people aren't allowed to draw their guns loaded like that.
Yet they do it anyway. And they wonder why they get a ration of grief about it. There was no reason for him to draw his gun. This was entirely preventable. The drawstring wasn't the problem; it was the symptom of a problem.

I was taught very early that reholstering was a time to exercise the utmost care, including sweeping cover garments well away from the holster. Guess the Chief missed that part. My bet would be that he felt some resistance or a tug on his clothes, causing him to tug back - the exact wrong thing to do, of course. Taken together with placing his palm over the muzzle, he gives me the impression that he doesn't take handling handguns very seriously.

Interesting video for sure and a good safety reminder.

I think it's pretty easy to sit back and point fingers as to whose fault it was, why was he pulling his weapon, etc. I'm not saying that after looking at the video, he certainly could have done things "different". . . . but even with all of the safety that is drilled in to our heads as far as safe gun handling . . . we all have done something stupid at times.

I think the main thing that has to come out of this . . . and it was nice it was caught on video . . . is that it needs to serve as a reminder to all of us to "think twice" and "act once". Whenever you hand goes to your weapon . . regardless of if it is drawn in fear or drawn to just "remove" . . . keep your mind on what you are doing. "Accidents" are going to happen but 99.9% of them can be avoided if all of us just "think" and "pay attention".

Back