WASHINGTON State Users Please Read

Ishyid

Okay, I live in Washington state, and am looking to purchase my first rifle. I live about 30 minutes from the mountains and was wondering what the state and federal laws are about target shooting. I used to go shooting up there when I was younger and know to go to the pits where other people have done some shooting. I just wanted to check to see if it's actually legal to use these pits or sometimes turn around arears to discharge firearms.

Ishyid

You did not say what part of the state you lived in. Here on the East side of the state, shooting in state open land and the National forest is OK. It is not OK to shoot in state gravel pits, along the roadside or in areas of state parks. There are also some county regulations to consider.

Range selection and safety are of utmost importance, lots of folks doing all kinds of adventures on open land. I generally walk the area that I plink in and make sure I have a VERY safe backstop before I let fly.

Good Luck & Be Safe

May become mute issue if the legislature passes the new "assault weapons" ban that was introduced this month for consideration in January. Everybody keep an eye on it and prepare to engage the gun nazis in Olympia...

Sulaco2

Not to hijack this thread :)

May become mute issue if the legislature passes the new "assault weapons" ban that was introduced this month for consideration in January

I'm a confused:confused:

As of today, the ARON SULIVAN PUBLIC SAFETY & POLICE PROTECTION ACT (assault weapons bill) has not been pre-filed for the Washington legislature 2010 Agenda. If you have seen this act posted somewhere else please drop me a PM, thanks.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Ishyid:

Check with your local sheriff's dept. and find out where the no-shooting zones are. They might also be able to direct you to an established shooting range.

Not Moo, it's Mu.

If you know of a place on public land where people shoot, then call the local authorities and ask.

Here on the West side it's pretty darn tricky. You should be good to go on state and federal non-park land, but there are so many towns and cities that abut those lands that target shooting is prohibited.

Not really a direct answer to your question -

I can still find "deserted" hillsides in certain parts of the Olympic National Forest (not the Park...), but that's quite a bit of driving from the South Sound area.

Another option is to check out joining a gun club. Capitol City Rifle and Pistol Club isn't a bad group, and the fees aren't outrageous. This club is located a few miles south of Olympia, which isn't far from Bonney Lake.

They have a 50/100/200 yd range for rifle, several pistol ranges, a blackpowder range, and an "action pistol" area. Quite a few of the members are active in CAS, and I believe these events are held in the action pistol area.

You can put up any paper target you like, and they also have "gongs" hung inside earthmover tires, but you aren't allowed to shoot at bottles or cans or anything placed on the ground. The action pistol range is usually set up with poppers and other reactive targets as part of a scheduled event, and these are provided by the club.

They are absolutely rigid about safety, and safety training (a club-provided slide show and written test) is required for membership. There are no formal RO's provided, but the rules are posted and the assumption is that they will be followed. Enforcement is simple -- break the rules and they lock out your electronic key card, banning you from the range.

When shooting in a National Forest, the rules are :

1.) The area must not be closed by order to shooting : call your local Ranger District office and inquire.
2.) Do not shoot from or across any road or trail.
3.) Do not shoot at or across water surfaces, whether creek or lake.
4.) Do not use tracer ammunition.
5.) Do not shoot in or near developed campgrounds or occupied areas.
6.) Do not shoot in an unsafe manner. (that covers a lot of concerns, backstop, other people, drinking, etc.)
7.) Pick up your brass, and every bit of your targets, and take it home with you.
8.) Don't shoot at the trees.

I have lived in Kirkland for 55 years. I used to drive to East Redmond to shoot. Now it's a no shooting area all the way to hyw 203? Carnation / Duvall raod. They closed an area along I-90 past North Bend just recently. I have been a couple gravel pits outside Sultan (off hyw 2). If you are nowhere near any civilization, not in a no shooting area (like above), and the pit / or area is not posted, give it a try. If you are anywhere near farms or people, pass on it. But...

You must...
Have a safe backdrop, As in a good pit.
Know what is behind your line of fire (nothing is the right answer)
Clean up after yourself. Many don't. Take out more than you brought in.

Or, pay a few bucks and visit Kenmore Gun Range. up to 200 yards. Rifle, handguns, skeet, even a walk thru bowhunting range. Busiest on wekends, arrive at open, or close to. NOTE: Read the rules, and follow them to a T. The old fart that runs the place has no patience for inexperienced shooters. Don't follow the rules, and you will meet him!

Good luck.

Last edited:
When in doubt, call your local sheriff. I live in Cheney washington and I called to see if I can shoot outside of town and he said i'm legal to shoot in the backyard... SO I DO! :D

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Back