Washington DC's New Definition of Machinegun: Any Gun that Holds more than 11 rounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceOregon

Yes, the Washington DC council did pass their brand new gun control regulations last night at the city council meeting. The vote was unanimous. However, the council changed the city's definition of a "machine gun" to be the following: Any firearm that is capable of being fired 12 or more times without reloading!!

Have these folks gone insane? Apparently any gun loaded with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds in it is now a machine gun under Washington DC law!! So semiautomatic firearms will be allowed, just as long they do not have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

Here is a news article with further details:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hCTDCtVBhc2ugiMV6sP_bPJKdG2QD91UKKMG0

And here is a video news report, with video taken at last night's council meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdrinY2lDI

Well, at least semiauto pistols were not banned, as officials had previously promised. Perhaps they realized that would have been too flagrant a violation of the court's ruling to attempt to implement it.

The process involves a written exam, proof of residency and good vision.

The above quote regarding the process to own a handgun has been taken from the article.

I'm curious how did they actually define "good vision"? Is good vision measured corrected or uncorrected? Seems like an odd requirement but I guess it depends on their defination of "good vision."

The process involves a written exam

roll back 40-50 years and read this as...

All those wishing to vote must correctly answer questions asked by the sheriff.

One more method blacks were kept from voting in places like Mississippi. These guys are morons, but at least they are nice enough to give plenty of grounds for challenge in the region most likely to be fast tracked to the SCOTUS.

Well, at least semiauto pistols were not banned, as officials had previously promised. Perhaps they realized that would have been too flagrant a violation of the court's ruling to attempt to implement it.

The "fire 12 or more times without reloading" his a huge number of semi-auto pistols.
ALL 1911s will accept the (rarely) available magazines that hold more than 12 and are banned.
Many Glocks.
If a 12 round or more magazine HAS been made the gun is banned.

This is probably going to take another run through the courts to resolve, not really very surprising.

the council changed the city's definition of a "machine gun" to be the following: Any firearm that is capable of being fired 12 or more times without reloading!!

Well, good. When it is struck down I suppose machine guns will then be legal! ;)

The process involves a written exam, proof of residency and good vision.

The above quote regarding the process to own a handgun has been taken from the article.

I'm curious how did they actually define "good vision"? Is good vision measured corrected or uncorrected? Seems like an odd requirement but I guess it depends on their defination of "good vision."

In Chicago to register your guns you submit a copy of your drivers license to prove adequate vision, if you can see well enough to drive you can register a gun

That depends on what your definition of a machine gun is...

Sounds identical to Clinton's "that depends on what your definition of is, is" :rolleyes:

Because Clinton's lie under oath wasn't really punished in Washington DC, the Fenty gang have now copied the technique, and are using it in much the same way. To further an unethical, if not illegal, subversion of the law.

Debating the nuances of whether the approach will succeed, seems to be glossing over the inherent dishonesty of the ploy.

Though I suppose that debate, as well as the absence of swift punishment on the order of imprisonment of the Fenty gang for contempt; is a marker for how far removed from justice, and into corruption, our federal government has sunk. :barf:

This is flat wrong, and outrageously so.

Last edited:
DC Code 7-2501.01 (definitions) states in part:
(10) "Machine gun" means any firearm which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily converted or restored to shoot:
(A) Automatically, more than 1 shot by a single function of the trigger;
(B) Semiautomatically, more than 12 shots without manual reloading.

Your 1911 is a verbotten firearm because it can be "readily converted" by inserting a 15 round magazine.

By adding the word "OR" as the first word in section (B), this would resolve the problem. You could have a Beretta 92FS with a 10-round magazine and not be in violation. But as the law stands now, any detachable magazine gun is potentially a "machine gun".

In Chicago to register your guns you submit a copy of your drivers license to prove adequate vision, if you can see well enough to drive you can register a gun

Sorry, but I cannot support any law banning ownership of a firearm for a law abiding citizen, even if they are blind.

Now if a blind person were to FIRE that weapon they very well may be charged for willful endangerment and be liable for any damages they cause. That is totally reasonable. The gov't though should NOT be able to tell a citizen they cannot use a COTUS guaranteed right but society should hold any citizen responsible for the abuse of such rights.

DC Code 7-2501.01 (definitions) states in part:

Quote:
(10) "Machine gun" means any firearm which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily converted or restored to shoot:
(A) Automatically, more than 1 shot by a single function of the trigger;
(B) Semiautomatically, more than 12 shots without manual reloading.

Your 1911 is a verbotten firearm because it can be "readily converted" by inserting a 15 round magazine.

By adding the word "OR" as the first word in section (B), this would resolve the problem. You could have a Beretta 92FS with a 10-round magazine and not be in violation. But as the law stands now, any detachable magazine gun is potentially a "machine gun".

Interesting...has there been any cases where a semi-automatic gun has been ruled a machine gun because it can accept 11+ capacity magazines?

Contrary to the OP, the machine gun ban, and its definitions, have been around for a long time. I could be wrong, but I think it was passed with the same laws that banned handguns back in 1976.

For the most part, this particular controversy is being/has been addressed in other threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back