Wash.Post Article on UPS' Internal Thefts of Guns

Given it is UPS that seems to be lax,
they should put firearms through
their highest security procedures but
still charge the previous cheaper ground
rates.

Hypocrites.

Sounds to me like it's UPS that has the drug problem!!! The ATF needs to see if there isn't a drug/stolen firearms ring operating out of UPS. If there are any Federal LEO's out there from the ATF, take what I've just said to heart!! :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

4 months in prison for theft of a firearm??? For Christ's sake, I'd get more than that for carrying out of state even with a permit in my own state and a legal purchase. The legal system just keeps showing these people that it's okay to commit felonies. It's good that this stuff makes headlines, because it's only then that corporations will do something about their questionable practices. I could really go on a rant here, so I'm putting the brakes on now...

I'm protesting UPS' actions by asking how merchandise is shipped before buying. If they can't ship it some other way, I'll buy it somewhere else! I just wont deal with them anymore. Reddog

FWIW, a couple of years ago one of my pistols was stolen from UPS while en route back to me from Beretta's service department. The thief cut open the parcel, removed the gun from its case, resealed the parcel (with a different kind of tape), and just sent the empty box on its way. UPS actually delivered this parcel as if nothing had happened, although the driver noticed that there was something wrong with how the parcel looked. Apparently, the same thing happened to about two dozen other Beretta pistols that left the service department around the same time.

Thank goodness Beretta was the shipper, so that it, not I, had to go through most of the hassle with UPS. UPS tried to shift the blame for the thefts onto Beretta, claiming that the gun was not properly packaged. I don't see what Beretta could have done to prevent the theft, other than to ship the gun inside a vault instead of in a cardboard box, or to use another carrier. I do fault Beretta for not changing shippers as soon as it learned of the thefts. But that's a separate issue, and does not absolve UPS of its responsibility for a lack of vigilance and subsequent attempt at blame-shifting.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited January 03, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Godlewski, the UPS spokesman, said the company conducts background checks of all job applicants. But he acknowledged that some criminals slip by.[/quote]

So, if they check all applicants, how do the criminals slip by? If they missed somebody or inaccurately checked up on them, that's still not checking all the applicants.

I hate UPS!

[This message has been edited by .357SIG (edited January 03, 2000).]

I guess I must consider myself very fortunate in that I've never had to use UPS to ship a firearm, to or from. My question is: if one chooses to boycott UPS, what other shipper(s) are reliable and how does liability figure in?

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

Didn't someone post an article on this a few weeks ago saying that FEDEX and Airborne Express were refusing to ship guns?

In case some people don't know- as of like 60 days ago, UPS no longer ships gun by any service they offer-has to be shipped next day air, few different types, but all expensive.

Also, you can't bring guns to a UPS outlet (MBE)-has to go to a UPS shipping counter.

So what used to cost me 7 or 8 bucks to get a gun to a manufacturer- just cost me $31 to get my Steyr M40 over to GSI for warranty work.

I'm telling you, if they don't ban guns first-they are sure as hell going to try to make it a hassle if you own any guns in the future (worse than they are now).

Back