Was there ever a rifle chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarondhgraham

Was there ever a rifle chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge?

The reason I ask is a co-worker swears his father owns one.

According to him it a single-shot break-open like an H&R Handi-Rifle.

I've never seen or heard of one,,,
And I can't find one in Google.

Anybody have a clue on this?

Aarond

I think there was a charter arms type break down version of a .25acp in a James Bond movie... even took down a helicopter with it. actually hit the guy holding a grenade..... :D

It could be a .25 something other than an acp.
And it doesn't mean that a .25acp hasn't been tried in it.
Like the fellow I saw trying to put .380s in a .38spl revolver.
Or another fellow trying to figure out why .22lr didn't work so good in his .22Mag.

Once upon a time you could get a .25 ACP chamber adapter for a .25 rifle such as .25-35, .25 Remington or .250 Savage. What with the 6 thou mismatch, I doubt that much got hit.

Chett:

The Armi Jaeger AP74 looks like an AR15 but shoots .32 ACP.
Squires Bingham had one that was a very rough imitation of an AR.

A much earlier .32 rifle was the Dreyse Semiautomatic Carbine. I have seen a couple of those at gun shows.

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Semi...ic Carbine/Dreyse Semi-Automatic Carbine.html

A real rarity is the Tirmax carbine, contemporary with the Dreyse.
See post #17 at

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=728121

Thanks for the information on the .32's. The only one I could think of was the Skorpion pistol/rifle. Maybe NEF could bring out some hand-rifle barrels in obscure pistol calibers.

Have your co-worker ask his dad about the rifle. In the long years between common use of cartridge rifles and WWII (during which production of tons of stuff was dropped and never restarted), there were quite a few "parlor" rifles.

These are break action, or falling block guns, usually, intended for short range target shooting (indoor target practice AT HOME was popular for some time waay back then), and pest control.

There were .25 and .32 RIMFIRE rounds back then, as well as a host of other chamberings. My Dad had a falling block .25 rimfire, although we never shot it, because there was no ammo available.

I think what is most likely is your co-worker's father has a .25 rifle he thinks is chambered for .25acp, (and one where a .25 auto might even go in the chamber), but the odds of it being actually chambered for .25 acp are slim.

I have learned to never say never, as it is always possible someone, somewhere, sometime had a barrel made for .25acp. I have considered getting one for my Contender.

As to a modern (post WWII) factory rifle in .25ACP, I have never heard of one, or seen one cataloged. Considering the towering status of the .25ACP, a rifle in that caliber would still be inferior to a .22LR for game, and way ahead, even today, for ammo cost.

If it turns out he actually does have a rifle, factory made in .25acp, we'd love to see it.:)

I heard about the .25ACP Tommygun, too, but I understand that was a custom made one-off.

My bet is that it will wind up being a .25 Stevens rifle. From what I can tell, rimfire was much more popular prior to World War II than after (other than .22). I found a couple .30 Short rimfire cartridges among a bunch of old WWI-era ammo that my grandfather had. It became obsolete in the early 1920s if I recall correctly.

Ben Towe and Mike irwin are the winners,,,

My bet is that it will wind up being a .25 Stevens rifle.

I agree that it's probably a .25 rimfire of some type.

His Dad didn't send a picture of the gun,,,
But he confirmed that it was a .25 Stevens and not .25 ACP.

Thanks gentlemen.

Aarond

How ever, I always through that a 16 inch barreled single shot rifle in 25 ACP would made a dandy little garden gun or as the British say a " rook " rifle. Nothing a .22 Short couldn't do, I just always through it would be neat.:)

On Instant Replay Review,,,

44 AMP definitely posted about a "25 rimfire" before Mike or Ben.

But on further examination of the pla,,, eerrr post,,,
Ben Towe was the only one to specifically say ".25 Stevens rifle".

So the non-existent trophy goes to Ben.

But I do thank all of you gentlemen for posting,,,

Aarond

There used to be a 32 ACP semi-auto rifle that looked like an M16/AR15 in the 1980's.

Armscorp, I think it was but it's hard to be sure.

Uhm...

.32 ACP is the same as .25 ACP the same way that a Scooty Puff Junior is the same as a Ford Mustang...

Or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back