Was the S&W Model 65 ever chambered for .38 Special (and not .357 Mag)?

Carmady

I have searched and been unable to find anything. I think I remember reading something strange about the early 65s, but it might have been another model.

Any such animal as a .38 Special Model 65?

I believe the model 64 was chambered in 38 special and then the model 65 was sold to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in 357

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I believe the model 64 was chambered in 38 special and then the model 65 was sold to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in 357"

That jarred my memory a bit. Maybe what I was trying to remember was that there was no 65 No Dash. Is that right? I'm off to GB to snoop around.

Edit: found neither a 65 No Dash nor a 65 in .38 Special, but there were two .41 Magnum 65-7s with 8 3/8" barrels in completed listings.

Last edited:
"No, but the model was preceded by a few Model 10's in .357."

Maybe that's almost what I was trying to remember, that some Model 10s in .357 preceded the Model 13 (since they're both blue). Thanks.

I was asking because this is advertised as a 65-1 in .38 Special. It has a pinned barrel, and the cylinder looks too short to be recessed which would indicate it's a .38, but it looks more like a nickel 10 than a 65 to me because it so shiny. This is the only pic.

Attachments

• A-list 65-1 .38SPL.jpg
    A-list 65-1 .38SPL.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 89
"No, but the model was preceded by a few Model 10's in .357."

Maybe that's almost what I was trying to remember, that some Model 10s in .357 preceded the Model 13 (since they're both blue). Thanks.

I was asking because this is advertised as a 65-1 in .38 Special. It has a pinned barrel, and the cylinder looks too short to be recessed which would indicate it's a .38, but it looks more like a nickel 10 than a 65 to me because it so shiny. This is the only pic.
Sure looks like a nickel 10 to me.

"I believe the model 64 was chambered in 38 special and then the model 65 was sold to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in 357"

That jarred my memory a bit. Maybe what I was trying to remember was that there was no 65 No Dash. Is that right? I'm off to GB to snoop around.

Edit: found neither a 65 No Dash nor a 65 in .38 Special, but there were two .41 Magnum 65-7s with 8 3/8" barrels in completed listings.
The model 64-1 was chambered in 357 Magnum for the Oklahoma HP in 1972. It then became the 65-1. There was never a 65 no dash or a 65 in 38 special.
As was already noted, the gun you linked is a nickel model 10 (non counterbored 38 cylinder).

There were also some model 10-6’s chambered in 357 magnum made for the NYSP in 1972. Those began the model 13 at 13-1.

Also, those are model 657’s in 41 mag.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for a lot of interesting information.

One Model 657 has a pic of the model number stamped on the frame, and it's easy to see how someone could misread it.

Attachments

• S&W MOD. 657.jpg
    S&W MOD. 657.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 50
The whole idea at S&W in placing model numbers was to signify a major difference in the pistol and caliber is a major difference. A Model 15 is .38 Special where a 19 is .357, Model 10/.38 Model 13 .357 etc. Of course during development or upon special orders differences can be found but normally a different number = change. The neat thing about the .38/.357 cartridges is the ability to purchase a 19 to obtain a more robust design and heavier weight while maintaining use of the .38 for target shooting. I carried and shot in competition one of the slick little 19’s for many years in policing.

To confuse people further, adjustable sight and fixed sight guns have their own models as well. For example models 10 and 15 are the blued 38 special k frames. The 64 and 67 are the stainless models. Also the model 10 and 15 can be had in nickel. 6 models that are essentially the same just different sights and finishes. And when you get into the 6 inch models there is the model 14....list goes on and on. :o

To confuse people further, adjustable sight and fixed sight guns have their own models as well. For example models 10 and 15 are the blued 38 special k frames. The 64 and 67 are the stainless models. Also the model 10 and 15 can be had in nickel. 6 models that are essentially the same just different sights and finishes. And when you get into the 6 inch models there is the model 14....list goes on and on. :o
Just to further complicate the issue, the Model 10 was available with different barrel contours.

Back