Was gonna buy a LLama Tommorrow but..........

ATTICUS

I read all of the "hammer " reports here today. I have a Kimber but want to buy a "kickin around the farm" type of pistol in .45 cal. A local gunshop has the new minimax on sale for $219. They claim that it has been completly re-engineered. I looked at one today (Feels nice and solid) and got Big Bro approval so I might go back tommorrow. Has this gun been improved or are they B.S.ing me? Help me make up my mind.

Step away from your wallet, take a deep breath and say "Llamas are South American cameloids." Now think, who would name a pistol after a cameloid? If you want a 1911 beater keep visit shows early. Last summer I spied a NIB Springfield for $300 and a Norinco for $240. They're out there, you just have to look real hard.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I had a Llama Max-1 .45acp. It wouldn't feed anything but hardball, which I expected. It was reliable with that ammo. Trigger was the worst I've seen, gritty, and hard pull. The slide was off center from the frame toward the front. I got rid of it and got a Charles Daly 1911 with 4"barrel, for about $130 more. This is a good shooting gun for a lot less than the big names. I do also have 2 loaded Springfields, which are very nice. Rod Black

I put a bushel of 230g hardball through a Minimax .45 and it never choked. Followed that with 200g Win. Silvertips,which caused one failure to feed; they also shot a bit low. Corbon 185 +p loads shot extremely well and were controllable out of this 3-inch pistol. I also polished the ramp and throat. So far so good.

I have yet to see any decent handgun come from south africa.

But for $200 bucks you aint got much to lose. I would give it a whirl. If nothing else trade it in for a revolver. Which seems to be the only thing you can get these days for $200-300 bucks.

------------------
TIM : )

The Llamas are made in Spain. South Africa makes some fine handguns, trust me. The Beretta 92FS clone and the RAP 440 are quite reliable.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I've had 2 Llamas and had no problems with them (A 22 and a 45).

They're not top-of-the-line, but I think they are good for the intended use - they're not as bad as some have depicted.

Thanks for taking time to reply. I'll probably pick one up and try it out. This gun won't get shot a whole lot, so hopefully it will hold together and function properly for awhile. I've wasted more than $200 on dumber stuff. The dealer did assure me that he would solve any complaint that I had without going to Llama, so...we'll see. 2shot: I'm a big Corbon fan, so I'll give the 185+p's a try after a brief break in with some FMJ.

[This message has been edited by ATTICUS (edited December 09, 1999).]

Bought one yesterday, took it home, wiped the heavy oil off, inserted the magazine, AND THE MAG RELEASE BROKE!!!! I'm headed back to the store ASAP (for a struggle I'm sure). Boy.. do I feel stupid!!

Update: Traded the MiniMax for a Maxi I
(Sounds like Tampons doesn't it) This pistol APPEARS to be a little better constructed. We'll see this weekend.

[This message has been edited by ATTICUS (edited December 10, 1999).]

The upside is, now I won't go get one. I know that doesn't help you much, but there it is.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I have a MAX L/F-1 .45 that has 750 rds through it with one problem. The cheap no name mags I bought at a gunshow years ago. 2 of the 10 have lips that are spread to wide. After weeding out the 2 bad mags it is a 100% reliable pistol now. It has ate up ball,hollow point,and soft point without a burp. It has no problem with those flying ash trays either.

Back