Warning Signs

Garrett5

I don't know if this topic has been discussed or not. Has anyone else noticed that almost everyone interviewed said that the two shooters had given off warning signs. And yet did little or nothing to prevent this. Not to say that the shooters could not still have pulled it off, after all "you can do anything once you set your mind to it", but at least they could have had a chance to curtailed it into something less. By "they" I mean other students, teachers, and parents.
"Warning signs" is a buzz word now, but if no one does anything about warning signs, finding warning signs does no good.

Garrett

I don't know if this would work or be like the Mc Carthy years but what about "Dob in a Pathological Maniac Program" for Schools?

Maybe if kids were "told" that it was "OK" to let the Authorities know about "crazies in the making" a few shootings etc. may be averted ?

Kids usually are scared(?) of "tattle taling" but in light of what's happened over the past 2 years maybe it would work?

Just a thought.....

It gets a little tricky here guys. I have more than a few firearms, pounds of gun powder, rounds of ammuntion and a Quake game "fully installed on my computater" in the same room! I know what you are trying to say and I have thought long and hard about it.I believe that it would take one of my family members or very close friends to determine if I was up to no good with my toys. People who are close might find it easy to ignore true warning signs while the casual observer might often come to the wrong conclusion.
Just my .02, Hank

I dont know guys - it is hard to gage this sort of thing... I wonder how many times I have said GUN or SHOOT... or the phrase IM GUNNA KILLIT... even when referring to Win-98? See my drift? Even though I am at a normal level - cause I'm a shooter - word count hits on certain words may make me look a bit on edge. Maybe you too? We are already in a rather Orwellian world - and I would rather keep it to a minimum.

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited April 24, 1999).]

So far, in all honesty, my wife I and figure that our son hits many of the "warning signs" that these Denver shooters did:

1. Not part of "popular group" of students
2. plays wargames/video games
3. shoots and has access to guns.
4. watches movies with violence in them

No, he does not listen to industrial rock or any particularly violent music, nor does he any fasination with Nazi figures.

He has a close group of friends who fall a lot closer to being "nerds" than they do to being "Jocks".

He usually does good in school, but gets distracted and sometimes loses his work or spends time in class doodling.. often characters from what could be considered "violent" movies or comic books.

Now, what do you think my reaction is going to be when one of his teachers calls us in because he fits a certain "profile" ???

The warning signs don't mean jack. It'll fit the profiles of literally thousands of teens, most of which have managed to adjust properly with society if they haven't been already. Still worse, most of the warning signs are dead-ends that will do no good. This what happens when mass hysteria and media sensationalism grips our society: We fail to think clearly.

The only good warning signs are actually pretty straight-forward. Does the individual seem to have an issue? Are they dealing with it effectively? Then ask yourself how you can be of assistance.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited April 25, 1999).]

As the father of two children, I believe it is a parent's responsibility to know what his child is doing whenever possible. As long as a child lives under your roof he is your responsibility. The following was in a news article :
Jefferson County Sheriff John Stone said weapon parts and other materials were found in plain sight in one of the suspect's bedrooms. He did not say which suspect he was referring to.
``A barrel that they cut off one of the sawed-off shotguns was clearly visible laying on the dresser in one of the rooms. A lot of this was clearly visible. The parents should have been aware of it,'' Stone said.

This morning's radio news reported that one of the killers had previously threatened another student with a knife, and that the father of the threatened student had complained to the local sherriff about it. The father also called the website threats to the sherriff's attention. These, to me, are serious enough "signs" to deserve some sort of official follow-up. But apparently nothing was done in response to them. Which calls to mind the NRA's assertion that, in schools around the country, very few instances of threatening behavior--including students' actually carrying guns to school--are ever prosecuted.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited April 26, 1999).]

Back