WARNING: Guns & Ammo PC Game is a RIP-OFF

Herr Glockner

Retired Screen Name
- Do not buy the "Guns & Ammo The Ultimate Target Challenge" by XICAT Interactive and Guns & Ammo. It will not run with many "mice", but once it does, you'll have a cowardly and just plain stupid and boring "game" It is not what is advertised, but these guys will gladly take your $$$ for it. Here is my e-mail to XICATs' website feedback section:

Tell you what - to hell with your Guns & Ammo mouse patch whenever it becomes available. I've had yet another $20 stolen from me by buy an absolute piece of crap software product (the other was a piece of excrement called NAPALM - aka NAM). I loaded "Guns & Ammo The Ultimate Target Challenge" onto a friends' system who has a plain old mouse. The software runs great, as it were. The content is a sad joke. ALTHOUGH the box makes us think we can use "over 100 guns...high-tech, military, collectibles", what we have in the "multiple shooting environments" is a
very tiny selection of POLITICALLY CORRECT SPORTING-USE FIREARMS. Not one semiautomatic HANDGUN. Only .22 caliber rifles. Only skeet-shooting shotguns. The targets are only ridiculous round bullseyes with day-glo centers. No bullet holes appear in them, and nothing happens if the bullet hits the ground near the target. The target just vanishes when hit. The clay-targets look pathetic as they crappily-wobble across an equally shoddy background. Only the sound effects are of acceptable quality. The multimedia portions and gun-info sections are pretty bland. What is obviously marketed with your packaging is the "excitement" of so-called "ultra-realistic shooting events". ULTIMATE TARGET CHALLENGE? The only bullseye is the one you crooks made in my wallet. Shame on you, and on Guns & Ammo if they okayed this spineless show of cowardice. AND YOU DARE TO FEATURE THE RATING: "Teen: ANIMATED VIOLENCE". What earburning embarassment to all gun-owners. I'll be glad when the FTC finally cracks down on you software hucksters who peddle this cybertrash and then with your retail-thief-accomplices, WILL NOT REFUND our money. You dare to imply that WE are the dishonest ones! Xicat is OFF my list, and EVERYONE I know will hear why.

- I encourage anyone else who has been victimized to let XICAT and Guns & Ammo hear about it. Get a look and decide for yourself. I'd hoped that this would be a great "virtual gun-range" with all kinds of targets, all kinds of guns - including full-auto and suppressed - and with actually fun events like "Hogans' Alley". None of this is here - especially the FUN.

[This message has been edited by Herr Glockner (edited 12-06-98).]

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for NAPALM (NAM) for a while now. Glad I didn't get it. I've been playing RAINBOW SIX for the last week. It's pretty good except that on my system when I exit, it blanks out my screen and freezes up my CPU. I've downloaded a patch but haven't had time to install it ( there was a gunshow that had to be attended after all).

Now that everyone is saving their money and not buying that game, use it to be a caopy of SafetyOn and after you have gone through it, let you family go through it, let your extended family and friends go through it, donate it to t a local library or grade school (if they'll take it).

It is a great firearms safety and function introduction, with good info for even the experienced shooter.

It is good stuff and very high quality.

(Btw- fal, Rainbow Six, with the myriad of patches, is not too shabby for a game, either. for a fun twist find the "sniper" patch ;))

------------------
-Essayons

Yep, I fell for it too. I bought the Guns and Ammo PC game and was really disappointed. All the library section offers is a bunch of old articles I read years ago.The game stinks. If you opt for a SA auto pistol, you have to cock it for each shot! Don,t waste your money.

Thanks for the heads up on that software...
I was thinking about... not much, but I was thinking about it.
NAM AKA Napalm at Walmart is a very basic "1st Person" shooter like DOOM... based on the concept of the "Marine DooM" tested by some Marine Corp computer geeks... Nam was programed off the "BUILD Engine." This is the basic program engine not for DOOM, but for a much more fun game "Duke Nukem 3D" While Duke is a great game, with good graphics and a lot of humor... it is very recomendable... but NAM is not... By the way NAM was turned down for retail at walmart because they didn't like the name - so GT interactiv erenamed it Napalm, and Walmart said "oh, okay then." NAM is really poor programing... but if you have a older slower machine, it will still work for you. So there is at least one new title you can buy that doesn't require 32 megs of ram the graphics card off the space shuttle.

One piece of software that I recomend...
"OUTLAWS" by Lucas Arts. :) Pretty good gun game, you have to reload your revolver after 6 shots etc... it is a lot of fun... I have kept that CD (Actually it comes in 2 CDs) ever since I first got it... the only other game CDs I dodn't trade off are DIABLO, WARCRAFT 2 and RED ALERT.

Okay you caught me... I love PC games...
Had a friend who worked for a game company in Provo - made games for the failed 3DO system. And I used to go over on fridays and every one would play networked games and eat pizza all day... kinda got addicted.

But look at OUTLAWS... you'll love it. It has all the WILD WEST touches and spagetti westerns all rolled into one.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

I second on OUTLAWS. I've been playing that also for the last week. Also have DUKE NUKEM and 3 or 4 accessory CDs for DUKE.
Tried Test Drive 4 a couple of months ago. Pretty good but not great. Though I was using a joystick and not one of those fancy driving control setups. Test Drive Off Road is alright also if I recall. Haven't played that one since the beginning of the year though.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-08-98).]

Never got into the driving games... I havn't seen a game that can communicate the edge of adhesion and threshold braking very well.
Although I have seen some that do 4 wheel drift pretty good...

Flying games are my favorite next to strategy.
Janes does a good job... ATF GOLD is the one I have. I have played others - but I don't like them as well. A-10 Thunderbolt II was also pretty good. Hitting stuff on the ground is my favorite thing to do - must be my 11-Bravo coming out...
Hated Quake. They were trying to be disgusting, and not working on realism or game playability. I know the guys who started ID, back when they had Wolfenstien 3D and the first DOOM... One of them bought two Lamborginis and he didn't even have a liscense yet!

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

With the new Force Feed back sterring wheel from the evil one himself, driving games may take on a whole new feel. I'm still looking to save up enough money to get the whole thrustmaster setup.

NOW HERE'S THE REAL DEAL: I just bought and tried "REMINGTON TOP SHOT Interactive Target Shooting" which is everything that Guns & Ammo Ultimate Target Limpness is NOT. It includes an excellent primer on SAFETY. The events are fun and there are even politically-incorrect guns included. Be sure to use SIMULATION mode and hit SPACEBAR to go to actual gun-sight view. Especially good in the Indoor Range. Use "B" to hold-breath when aiming. EVERY shooter with a computer (works on Mac, too) should get this "game"! It loads and PLAYS without a hitch. EVERY software product should be this great. Contact ACTIVISION with suggested improvements, but this is a $20 purchase you will NOT regret! :)

[This message has been edited by Herr Glockner (edited 12-13-98).]

[This message has been edited by Herr Glockner (edited 12-13-98).]

Back