WARNING!!!exploding dropped ammos!!!

paltik

yesterday while we are having our regular practice, my friend dropped a reloaded ammo
.45 ACP,200gr. LSWC, 5.3 231W, to the asphalted flooring of the range, then...kaboom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
luckily no one is hurt!
the slug is nowhere to be found and the primer also is missing!!!
Could anyone explain about this?is this incident happend to anyone?
what's your opinion,

------------------
REY MARIANO

Not likely anyone would have gotten hurt. The bullet didn't go far, I promise. The primer hit a high spot on the asphalt. Hard to repeat, but it happens... RARELY. When I was a dumb youngster, we used to push .22 LR's into the narrow soda straws tip first, and thow them high into the air over concrete. We were certain that the bullets were shooting straight up the straws when the rimfire cartridges detonated after streamering down base-first.

In fact, the bullet was simply tumbled... elsewhere. The brass was destroyed, because there was no chamber to direct the blast up from the ground, and mass of the bullet directed down, so the gases went... out to the sides in an unequal pattern.

I don't exactly suggest trying to replicate it, but really you were in very, very little danger.

FYI, it happens a bunch more often with .41 rimfires!

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Long Path,- I hate to be one to disagree with you but any time there is metal flying around in close proximity to soft flesh, there is the danger of being cut or even killed. I'll give you an example of how dangerous flying pieces can be.

About 8 to 10 years ago I had a group of people camping at my house for the 4th of July weekend. In the morning I was walking around with a cup of coffee enjoying the day. When someone started setting off M80's and block-busters. I was about 60 to 80 yards away. Well, you know the round end caps on these cylindrical explosives? I had one hit me in the left cheek and lower eye lid. Needless to say I had a swollen cheek and eye-lid for a few days and then proceeded to get a black eye. I could have lost the eye if it went a quarter of an inch higher.

I have made a habit of not being anywhere near anything that is an uncontrolled explosion, and the last thing I want is to be fragged by friendlies..... Again. :)

Primer was probably loaded a little high, and/or it hit a pebble in the asphalt just right to set it off.

Sounds a lot more scary than it is. Bullet didn't go far, but the primer may have come out with a little speed. Hope you had eye protection on.

Be safe...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

. Since it was a reload it more than likely the primmer had been sensitized with too much seating pressure. This was a case when two factors went together to create an incident which could not be repeated. It is far more likely you will find a primmer who's cup is so thick that the firing pin strike will not fire it. Since the cup of the primmer must be dented enough to pinch the compound between the cup and anvil with enough of a jar to ignite the primmer. Rim fire is an other matter as the rim is very thin and can be dented easily . As for the danger of such an unlikely event, I knew a gunner who ejected a 50BMG after a failure to fire that was a hang fire which detonated as it cleared the gun and a piece of brass pierced his heart and killed him. This proves that unusual events are dangerous . In this case it had to go between the ribs and cut the artery at the aorta. A one in a million chance of that happening coupled with a one in a million chance of a hang fire that would detonate after being ejected. You would have to think that it was his time to go!

A fella I knew had a similar (but more painful) experience with a reload (one of his). He was at his bench reloading shotgun shells, when his mother called him. He said he turned to answer her, and while he was turning, set the partially loaded shell he had in his hand down. Well, if he tried to do this he couldn't - he hit the primer on the corner of his reloading table - BOOM! It blew a lot of skin off one of his fingers, and embedded pieces of the primer in his finger. The doc stiched him up, put a splint on the finger, and, when it had healed enough to operate, took the primer pieces out. The doc gave the pieces to him for a souvenier (you could see it was definitely the ring around the primer, even though it was bent & broken).

After all that, he was fine.

At one of our gun shows, a guy dropped a box of factory pistol ammo on the floor and one or more went off. No one was hurt but it tore up the ammo box and scared the hell out everyone. Go figure. No, don't remember the manufacturer.

About 25 or 30 years ago (before shotshell primers were packed in plastic trays) a friend dropped a carton of 1,000 on cement. It was below freezing temp, and they all (or most all) went off with no more damage evident than large,red whelts on his legs.
I do remember the brand, but it was imaterial, it could happen with any brand.

------------------
Ralph in In.

And if they would have gone off at eye level, as on a bench after they fell off of a shelf,with him sitting in front of it. Well, enough said. Stay Safe.

Back