Warner Infallible

johnwill

I have an old Warner Infallible .32ACP pistol, made in the 1917-1919 time frame by Warner. It is the winner of the ugliest gun in my collection trophy. :) I'm looking for field stripping information for this gun, there is very little information that I've been able to turn up searching the web. Anyone know of some info in these beasts?

First rule is don't shoot it! There are a couple of variations on those, but disassembly is by either turning (if there is a lever) or pushing out the pin in the breechblock. This frees the breechblock to come off the recoil spring rods and come back off the frame. There are a couple of points I forget, and if you have trouble, don't force anything and get back to me.

Since, at best, the only thing keeping the breechblock from coming back is the small engagement with the rods, and I have seen some guns with the rods or pin broken, you will see why I said what I did about not firing it. Not a real great design, but an interesting one.

Jim

I don't know that I'll ever try shooting the Warner, but I strip any gun I get and clean and lube it, just on general principles. I've gotten them rusting away inside to pristine, they're all over the map. For guns that are 75-100 years old, I guess I can't complain.

I'll take another look, but I didn't see any obvious pins to push out, and no latch. There is an odd "pointy" thing that unlatches when a button on the frame, I have to believe that has something to do with stripping the gun, but no joy so far. I'll tinker a bit more... :)

Look on the back of the gun, where the serrations are for cocking. The block with the serrations should have on the left side either a lever that turns or the end of a pin. It has been a while, but if you turn the lever or push the pin out , it should unlock the block and the bolt from the two recoil spring guides, and let the bolt come out to the rear. Other than removing the grips for cleaning underneath, I don't recommend any further disassembling.

Jim

Jim,

You are right, I'm holding it, and one of these things on the block actually does push out, let's see... Sure enough! The little latch that I mentioned also has to be unlatched and rotated down, and then the bolt comes out. Thanks, I was reluctant to start pushing out pins, but that was the right pin.

It looks like the inside of an old Winchester M94, tool marks everywhere! :) After looking inside, I can see the advice not to shoot it is probably sound, this isn't the world's best design. :D OTOH, it's also pretty cruddy inside, so at least I can clean and oil it...

Well, I cleaned the Infallible up, and I think the advice not to shoot it is probably sound. :) The frame is a cheap casting, and the interior isn't finished at all! There are big sections of metal that obviously ran over the casting form, and they're still there! As long as they didn't get in the way, it looks like they left all the "Ugly" inside. Of course, when you look at the gun, you realize that the "Ugly" is outside too! :D

I've had some Spanish shotguns that were works of art on the outsice and totally crude on the inside. One was a non cheap AyA. Very disapointed when I saw the insides.

Sam

Hi, johnwill,

Glad you were able to get it apart. I thought I was having a "senior moment" and would have to dig out mine to be sure how they worked. Those guns were pretty cheaply made, but the big concern is that only that pin stands between the moving bolt and the shooter's face. If it breaks or one forgets to push it in, the shooter gets a face full of bolt. Another version has a turning pin with a latch. If the gun is reassembled and the pin is not turned to the proper position, same thing. It rather surprises me that more has not been written on those, but they never sold well and are pretty uncommon, so I doubt we will see many accidents. Besides, who is there to sue? It is a neat collector's item, though, and one of the less common American pistols.

Jim

I bought it for the "neat an ugly" feature anyway. Someday, I may have to try to shoot it, though I suspect I'll not stand behind the bolt when I try it! :D

Back