Ward's model 30 16 gauge.

kawasakifreak77

So dad once again comes up with a pretty neglected, old random gun. I didn't know what a Ward's model 30 was so I looked it up & come to find out Browning designed it as I understand & the kicker is... It's a take down!

I've always nerded our on take down guns of almost any kind, for no particular reason.

So with a new interest & dad claiming 'I don't care what you do with it' I take a look at what I got...

An old beat up shotgun with a broke stock & a visibly bent barrel right at the end. Free gun so I figure what the heck right?

I measure, 3 times mind you & lop nearly 10" of barrel of to wind up with an 18.5" tube. I glue the stock back together & wrap the tang in soaked paracord which so far has proved to be quite stout.

My local fun store had a box of buckshot so off to the range we went. At 15 good paces it puts 12 number 1 buck quite evenly spaced in about 18" or maybe a bit less right smack dab where I was pointing. So far, so good!

I went to another fun store yesterday & found a box of Fiocchi bird loads. 1 ounce, 7.5s, sounds like plenty stout medicine for quail to me.

Note: other than sitting in the corner full of buckshot for things that go bump in the night the only use I have for a scattergun is quails.

Next time I get to the range I'll pattern the bird loads & see what I get.

On the to-do list: install front bead (I just successfully recovered the original bead from the barrel scrap) & shorten the length of pull by about 1.5" topped with a nice recoil pad.

It's already shorter than my old 18.5" wingmaster, which I might have shot 10 rounds through in over five years. I love the take down feature cause it will easily fit in my baggage compartment & that's been something I've wanted for my upcoming trip out west.

It's old, weird & free so I'm having a ball with it as I like to tinker with things.

Question: for quail hunting, round about what diameter of pattern at what range would be ideal?

The Model 30 was actually the Savage Stevens Model 520 pump action shotgun, store-branded for Ward's.

Back