Wanting a Cimarron/Uberti SAA clone but have noticed something about them...

Stopsign32v

I went to the local pawn shop and they had a used Uberti SAA. I looked at it and noticed when I went to half cock their was no noticeable click. What I mean is if you watch Hickock's video on one he explains the C-O-L-T clicks, aka 4 noticeable clicks. However this ones first click was completely gone. You could barely feel a notch in the hammer pull back. Is this normal? What would cause a Uberti SAA clone to not have a noticeable click or stop before half cock?

Sounds like it needs fixing??
Six guns are pretty simple to deal with.
But if you're wary of messing with one, pass on it.
There's plenty of others around.

It could have a weak trigger/bolt spring or the sear could be worn or the safety notch could be worn or somebody could have worked on it. Unless it's super cheap I'd probably pass on it.

Pietta is turning out some very nice SAA clones. I have an EMF Great Californian made by Pietta and it is a very well made wheel gun. Additionally, Pietta makes the Frontier revolvers for Cimarron, those also look very nice.

The Uberti uses a hammer safety bar. When the hammer is pulled back to the

first notch or safety notch the trigger sear hits the push rod and a "click" is not heard. If the trigger is set into the safety notch the trigger nose pushes up on a push rod. This action sets the hammer block so the hammer is resting on the frame,

One has to listen very carefully, but all four clicks are there.

I have a Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe ( Uberti ) bought it new and the first click doesn't make much sound , but I can hear it . I compared it to a older used Colt and all of the clicks were much louder . I think that is normal on the Uberti clones . I thought at first it was because the Smoke Wagon comes with lighter trigger and springs .

My Cimarron has Wolff reduced power springs and a hammer block. The first click is soft but audible as are all of them. I had a Uberti Cattleman that was untouched also with a hammer block. The first click was very loud.

Cimarron P-4

I have a Cimarron model P-4 in .38-40 that is made by Uberti...

I just purchased this pistol. It's definitely not a Pietta...!

Bill

As for cleaning--- you can pay a extra $75 to $100 on top of the asking price for a complete tear down and cleaning.

The shop is there to make money not give away free service's.

Then again the shop may not have a smith that can work on all types and brands of hand guns.

Hell, you can buy a SAA clone new in the box from Cabelas for less than that. Good idea passing on it. Every pawn shop in this town has ridiculous prices on old firearms. I

The Uberti uses a hammer safety bar. When the hammer is pulled back to the

first notch or safety notch the trigger sear hits the push rod and a "click" is not heard.
The rod that extends into safety notch deadens the click but if you stop on the safety you can feel the hammer block engage.
Being use to my 2nd gen Colt I load 5 and never carry them on safe notch so the mechanism is stiff.
The 4 clicks are safety, half cock, bolt drop, and full cock. Cap and ball Colts don't have the first notch, don't know about factory conversions.

The rod that extends into safety notch deadens the click but if you stop on the safety you can feel the hammer block engage.

Mine isn't deadened at all. You can hear it quite well whether you stop on the safety notch or pull it back to full cock.

100_4902_zpswgde0yai.jpg

I wonder if the OP possibly got a Uberti Horseman (transfer bar model-works more or less like a Vaquero) or one of the new Cattleman IIs with the retracting (but still hammer mounted) firing pin?
Though used likely rules out the latter option.

Uberti has come up with a new system where the firing pin protrusion is connected to the hammer during cocking...is this one of the newer system that might be "muffling" the normally clean sound of the four COLT clicks?

Back