Wanted a 1911, but SIG lured me in AGAIN! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusternc

Well, as some of you might remember over the past few days, I had been thinking about adding a Springfield 1911 Loaded to my gun collection. (Sig P220, DPMS Ar-15, Savage 10-FP tactical). I went to a gun show, and handled numerous Springfields, but it just didn't feel great in the hand. I really like the look of the 1911's though. Well, I also couldn't help but check out the SIGs on display. I particularly liked the P226, but the prices were higher than at a gun shop. I left the gun show empty handed and somewhat undecided as to what I really wanted
as my next handgun. Well I thought it over throughout that evening and most of today, and thought I'd stop by a local gun shop for some more looking. I couldn't help it, but I was really drawn over to the SIG case. They had several SIGs on display, but again my eye fell towards the P226 in 9mm. It is almost identical in size to my P220 .45, and the fit to my hand was absolutely perfect. I could easily manipulate the trigger, decocker, and mag release button without contorting my hand around to do so. The trigger just like my 220 had a VERY nice pull, and a crisp break. The DA pull was however not as nice as my 220's. I told the salesman that I would take it, and he told me that that was their last P226 in 9mm. He said that SIG quit making the 226 in 9mm. I ended up getting the gun for $659 NEW with 2 10round mags, and case. Probably not a GREAT deal, but the only other shop in town that had one wanted $700. Got a couple boxes of cheap American Eagle, and then proceeded directly to the nearest range. I set up targets at 30feet, and began shooting. I am far from an expert shot, and I was getting offhand groups of like 1" to 1.5" using a simple weaver stance. To say the least, I am VERY impressed with this gun, and its level of accuracy. I can shoot it much better than my P220 (probably due to alot less recoil) which leads to more consistent follow up shots. I can only imagine how good it would be in the hands of an "expert shot!" I realize that the 9mm isn't ideal for self-defense purposes, buts its use will be STRICTLY for target practice at the range, and the cheaper ammo when compared to the .40 S&W and .357 SIG is a BIG PLUS! Besides I've always got the 220 .45 for any potential BG's if the need should ever present itself. So guys, did I make a good choice? What kind of prices are you seeing on the same gun? Will the value of the gun likely GO UP being that it is no longer manufactured or do they still make the P226 in 9mm for the military? Thanks for the input.

Nathan...

Sig not making the 226 in 9mm anymore? I'm skeptical of that. It's one of their more popular models.

$659 sounds a little steep. I paid $539 for my P220 in february, and I believe that the 220s always go for more than the 226s.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

SIG Sauer discontinued sales of the P228 because it sold poorly and the 9mm P229 fills basically the same nitch in the US. The 9mm P226, with its PC 10 rounds mags, has been doing very poorly in terms of sales. Therefore SIG Arms instead sells it more frequently chambered in 40SW and now 357SIG. I may be wrong but SIG Arms hasn't disconitnued US sales of the 9mm version yet. It's an outstanding pistol and IMHO the most accurate out of the box DA auto. Check out sigarms.com for an article on 100 yards shots with a P226.

deanf,

Did you get the latest P220, the one with the Hogue grips and "solid" guiderod? If so, are you satisfied with it? Has it given you any trouble? I'm on the verge of buying one ($540 on sale), but I've been told the newest P220s jam frequently.

Thanks

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Sig did not stop selling the 228 because of poor sales. It was actually one of the better selling models in thier lineup. They stopped due to the military contract for the M11 service weapon. They are still available in limited numbers. I bought one NIB less than a year ago for $529, and that was with the K-Kote finish.

I was only going by what SIG Arms told me in response to a fax regarding availability of the P228 to civilians. I suppose who ever I spoke to could've been misinformed or didn't care to reveal the real reason behind the decision. Large military contracts had never before interfered with sales of the P228 or P226.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Dean,
The P220 is much cheaper than the P226. I paid $529 for my P220. The P220's in the shop that I bought the P226 in were $599. Strange as it may seem, the big P220 is cheaper. Not exactly sure why that is...could just be due to the sheer #'s of P220's available, while the #'s of P226's in 9mm are quite rare in comparison. I do stand corrected on the P226 in 9mm. I read that while they are busy filling many LE and military contracts for the P226 in 9mm, the #s of P226's hitting the local gun shops is very low. You can still find some, but not near as easily as the other models of SIG.

To the poster that questioned my experiences with the P220, I have the latest model with the greenish recoil spring. It has been VERY reliable. It has fed ~1300 rounds now with only 2 hiccups (2 stovepipes due to my first reloads, and some bad PMC ammo). All other factory and reloads have been VERY reliable. If I were looking for a .45 ACP all over again, I'd pick the same exact gun. I like it that much. I would suggest looking at other guns as a comparison, and see which one fits your hand/budget the best. There are several good handguns out there, but SIG happens to be my favorite. I've definitely gotten what I've paid for with my 2 SIGs. Top notch quality. Good Luck in your search.

Nathan

Nate, the price was alittle high, but if you consider the satisfaction that gun will provide over time, you won't mind. I found an all nickle 226 with one high cap and one 10 rnd. mag at a local pawn shop in what appeared to be unfired condition for $600, and I talked them down another $50. Mine cuts daisies at 50', has never failed to feed, and eats everything i feed it. I picked up a couple of ProMag 15 rnd mags for $15/ea. @ CTD, replaced the springs with Wolffe's, and I'm a happy camper. Enjoy your new 'baby', ya done fine. M2

Mike,
Do you have a website address for CTD? I'd like to get a couple hi-cap 15rd mags for my 226 9mm. Your price of $15/piece for Pro-mags sound good. How good are the pro-mags with the "stock" mag springs? Thanks!

Nathan...

You know, I can live without any particular gun in my personal battery except one: an M1911. If I don't have an M1911 in the house I feel naked. I don't get that sensation with Sigs, or any other handgun for that matter. Last year I went without an M1911 for about 2 months and felt like I was in withdrawals -- had to go out and buy one at the first opportunity. Ahhhh! Better than Starbucks Coffee!! :)

The P228 and P225 are available, but on a limited basis. I guess you could say that they are not in 'regular' production for commercial sales. However they are released in batches every once and a while so keep your eyes open. The P229 (9mm) and P239 (9mm) are suppose to replace them, but for the time being all are still made.

If anyone wants a used 9mm P226 police turn in VG condition, Kieslers and K-Y Imports have had them for $379 within the last month.

Tecolote:

My P220 didn't come with Hogue grips, I bought my own. I don't think they sell it with Hogue grips. The newer models do have a more textured grip, but it's still just plastic, not rubber. That's what mine came with.

It has not been particularly reliable, but until I can perform more tests, I blame this completely on bad ammo. Do not buy or shoot American Ammunition brand ammo. Bad stuff. There are a few TFL threads that mention it. Sportsmans guide sells it.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Dean,
I've shot American Ammunition in my P220 a few times (probably around 300rounds or so). I never had a single problem with it in my P220. I also shot 100 rounds of it in my new P226 9mm, and it seemed very reliable and shot very accurately. Maybe I was just lucky and got a good batch. I have had 1 stovepipe with PMC .45auto though, and it seems to be the LEAST accurate of any ammo I have used.
Is the American Ammunition you are referring to made in Miami, Fl? and comes in the clear packaging?

Yep, same stuff. Headstamp AMERC. See the following threads for discussions of the pitfalls of the American Ammunition brand.
[Link to invalid post] [Link to invalid post] [Link to invalid post] [Link to invalid post]

And from Glock Talk
http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum15/HTML/000203.html http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum13/HTML/003699.html

I think you got lucky with your batch.

You would be correct to infer that spreading the word far and wide about American Ammunition is my cross to bear. What really angered me is when The Sportsmans Guide refused to corespond with me about the crappy ammo I bought from them, and that they continue to sell it.

Fusternc, you asked about CTD's website earlier. I believe it's www.cheaperthandirt.com I got my Pro-Mags from J$G Sales for $12. They work just fine. Check their prices at www.jgsales.com I just checked and they are $14.95 now.

[This message has been edited by Sport45 (edited November 30, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Sport45 (edited November 30, 1999).]

Any of the 226's imported in the future are going to be sold to military/law-enforcement only as I understand it. What is in the US now is all there is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back