Want to ID old Percussion pistol

sorry guys, the cookie they put on my computer bypasses all that.... so I would have no way to see that you need to be a member. But several forums tell you to post pictures on hunt101. I'll study that soon.

The same question is currently asked in gunbroker's forums - ask the experts and the picture or links show there.

If you wish, I will email the photos to you.

Last edited:
OK. Went to gunbroker forums and saw the pics. It is a percussion black powder pistol, probably around 60 caliber (mike the bore to be sure). It is commonly called a "horse pistol", meaning a pistol used by cavalry troops. It has an Italian royal crest (House of Savoy) stamped into it, making it post-1840s. During the late 1840s to mid-1860s, there was a war of independence from Austro-Hungarian rule in Italy, and they used whatever weapons they could get to equip troops, mainly French and German weapons. In the 1870s, the Italian army switched to Vetterli rifles, and changed their pistols to percussion revolvers, so it is possibly from the period before those events, somewhere around 1850-1860s. It could still be a fake, even with the crest on it.

Back