want opinion on gun and combo.

bullfrog99

Lots of positive remarks on the KGP-141, I was wondering about the ruger sp-101 4" barreled 22 model for a rimfire training gun and keeping the two as a set. what is your opinion on both the ruger's rimfire double action and having the two as a set. weight is a little different, but with simular sights, grips and trigger actions(with tuneing) I was hoping it would work out well.

I use to own a Ruger SP 101 .22 LR with the 4" barrel. Mine had a problem when you eject the fired cartridges. After 2 wheels shot, the cartridges would "stick" into the chambers and you literally had to pry them out with a screwdriver. I kept the cylinder/chambers clean, but for whatever reason the little .22 cartridges still stuck after being fired.

The revolver itself was a nice shooter (accurate, with great grips), but the cartridge sticking problems drove me nuts so I sold it. What is interesting is my current SP 101 (.357 magnum) does not have this problem (it ejects perfectly).

As far as the "set" goes, that is a good idea.

bullfrog,
What's the purpose of the set; to use the .22 for training? I'd much rather use the .357 and load it with .38 wadcutters. It will give you much better practice. If you're buying the set to have them that's fine, go it.

That is an excellent idea.:cool: With the .22, you can build markmanship, gun-handling skills, and affinity for the trigger. All on the exact 'same' piece used for your CCW. Sure, .38 wadcutters are easier to shoot than magnums, but far more aggressive and expensive vs. .22LR. For example, a 550-count Value Pack at Wally World costs about the same as one box of 50 .38s(IF you can find them THAT cheap). You may also choose to introduce someone new to shooting, and it will prove invaluable for that. My only preference would be to get the short-barreled .22 which matches the length of the .357 version.

The idea should be very sound.

I think CZ's gun just had sticky chambers, basically a bad one that got out. I'd either sent it back, or order one of the chamber-polisher tools which I think Brownell's has in calibers between .22LR and .45LC and hone them myself.

This page has some interesting notes on that in .45LC in which it's claimed that total drop-free ejection without use of extractor rod is possible in a Vaquero:

http://www.curtrich.com/ruger.html

Same principle should apply.

Back