Want a semi-auto blues

Dorsai

Actually, its more like black & blue. Shot a 3 gun match today and I think I was the only pump shotgun (Rem870) there. The rest were Benellis and one Rem 1100. Now I didn't feel outgunned and I kept up with the rest, but slugs were rough on the shoulder. I don't consider myself a wimp, but it will take a week for my shoulder to look normal. I'd love a Benelli, but my budget makes it tough. The Remington 1100 Express looks pretty good, but I'm interested in anyone elses experience with an 1100 and a short barrel. Specifically, I'd probably shorten it to 18-20". Shoot regular field load birdshot up to slugs. Are they reliable?

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Since nobody chronos your slugs, you could probably get away with it without any problem. Hadn't thought about that. But, I shoot matches for fun and to add a little stress to the shooting, not to win at all costs. I try to avoid gamesmanship, so I don't use competition oriented gear or tactics. If an 1100 isn't reliable with all the ammo I want to run thru it, then I'll stick with the 870 that is. And put up with a sore shoulder.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

If you shop around at gun shows you should be able to pick up a new 1100 "Synthetic" for about $400. It is a 2 3/4" chamber, 28" barrel gun. This should be able to do anything you want either playing games or for defensive ourposes. If you want a 3" chamber you'll have to spend a lot more money for the "express or an 11-87. The "Express" will not reliably handle light target loads. The 11-87 won't either no matter what the ads say. Have a 'smith cut the barrel to whatever length you want and he should be able to bore and thread it for choke tubes. I had mine cut to 21" and threaded for "WinChoke" tubes as they are easier to find in store and cheaper.
I have found mine to be very reliable with good ammunition.
I hope this helps.
I'm not saying the 1100 is the best thing since sliced bread, but it'll do.
Cat

Change butt-pads? No matter how exotic you go, it's cheaper than a new gun.

Also, sew a pad on a "shooting shirt". It makes a world of difference! Cloth over a thin layer of closed-cell foam...Tames most anything...Much cheaper than a new gun.

Then you can shoot magnums and say, "Hey, that's no recoil at all!"

Back