Want a Hi-Power clone

ojibweindian

Okay, starting to get the new-gun itch again and I am thinking about a Hi-Power clone. Specifically the Feg. Are these pistols still under $250? I did a search on the Feg, and have heard pretty good things about them. Are there any more testimonials to be heard? What is your biased and unbiased opinion concerning the Feg Hi-Power clone?

The FEG BHP clone my friend had was solidly built, but rather rough, in terms of mechanical feel. The slide racking, as well as the trigger pull needed some work done on it.

Once the polishing of the metal parts chore was completed, he ended up with a fine firearm that was just as good as one made in Portugal.

If you are willing to spend a bit of time doing some elementary "smithing," you will find that the FEG BHP clones are diamonds in the rough. A bit of work, and you end up with something you will want to keep for the rest of your life.

I also have the FEG and after some use it smoothes out a bit. If that doesn't happen fast enough for you there area lot of gunsmiths out there that do great work on 1911 and Hi-Powers(and their clones).

I bought my FEG about 3 months ago and the regular price was $200.

The FEG is a good gun. It is rough in some places and can use some polishing and a few spring-based tweaks, but otherwise...

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good gun.

You do need to be sure of which FEG you're buying as they make three or four that are very similar. The PJK is the HP clone, there is a P9R? that has a ribbed sight on the slide, and yet another that is DAO. Just make sure you find the one you want.

You should also look at the Arcus94 (clone) and the FMs. The FMs are not a clone but rather licensed production from Argentina. The current model is the M-95 which is a Mark III.

How much is the Arcus clone? I've not heard of this particular clone before. Is it comparably priced to the Feg? Also, tell me about the Agentinian Hi-Power. I really don't want to pay too much for this purchase as this is just a fun gun.

FEG versus Hi-Power

I had the double action FEG, a hybrid of Hi-Power and S&W 9mm pistols. It held 14 rounds, used proprietory mags, the trigger was rough which ruined accuracy. The finish was absolutely gorgeous however, in deep blue.

I think the real Browning Hi-Power is a better buy, even at twice the price. I don't know about the "real" Hi-Power copy, the single action FEG. That might be the way to go.

I have the BHP clone FEG, and it's a very nice gun for the price, $229 as I recall at a local gunshow. The fit and finish is equal to guns costing far more, the only complaint that I have is the heavy trigger. That was partially solved by getting rid of the mag disconnect, but I still think it needs a trigger job to be close to perfect. IMO, the FEG HP clones are one of the few handgun bargains still around.

We sell the FEG clone for about $250 out the door. They are a good copy and have a lot of potential. They take all Hi-Power aftermarket parts like triggers and sights.

The blueing doesn't impress me much, but the machinework isn't too bad.

I've been thinking of buying one myself as a project gun and doing it up in OD green on the frame and matt black on the slide.

You probably saw my posts saying how much I like my PJK-9HP (the "true" FEG HP Clone). I must be lucky. My trigger has smoothed out nicely. I polished a few of my rougher mags where the mag safety hits them, but other than that, my trigger is not that bad.

I shot it again today. No problem making 4" groups at 15 yds offhand, rapid fire. It just goes where I want it to go. The Hogue monogrip made it fit my hand perfectly.

Don't forget to get some of those 17rnd mags from http://www.cdnninvestments.com they are really nice. Springs are really stiff at first, but they get normal with use.

The FM Hi Power is a great weapon. I have only put 500 rounds of 9mm though mine, but no malfunctions were experienced. It even cycles Corbon 124gr +P with no problems.

This weapon shoots extremely well with outstanding shot groups. At 25 feet 14 rounds can easily be covered by a quarter if I do my part. The barrel/slide fit is tight while the frame/slide fit is loose. About what you expect with a military weapon. I don't know what the quality is of the new FM 95's but I have an older version with small steel stampings of the manufacturer and not the large bold ones of the new pistols.

I have my lower painted OD Green and left the top original matte black and it looks great! I only did it with standard camo paint to see what it would look like before I ordered the Teflon Bake kit from Brownells. When I finally get the kit I'll finish it and post a pic for you guys.

Good SHooting
RED

I would suggest checking the Shotgun News or the Gun List papers to get an idea of how much an FEG or FM Hi Power should run. I got mine at a local dealer for $250.

If your local dealer has one and you find one cheaper- factor in the weapon cost, $10 for shipping plus about 15% markup and make a offer on that price. I'm sure he will agree to sell you his at that price so he can move his stock. Some dealers are crazy at the prices they attempt to charge.

Good Shooting
RED

Back