Wanna play dress-up?

David Scott

I'm working on a mystery novel featuring a female detective sergeant. I plan to equip her with a full-size issue Glock 22 and a compact Glock 27 for backup, both .40 caliber.

What are some good gunleather choices for her? Might she carry the G22 off-body in a specially designed "gun purse", or would you expect her to keep both weapons on her person.

If it helps, she's about 5 feet 10 inches and "solidly" built -- not fat, but strong. Think figure skater Katarina Witt or Lucy "Xena" Lawless.

It's difficult to tell without a character background, but if a person were concerned enough to carry a backup weapon, I can't imagine why she'd carry it off-person.

Since she's pretty big, she could use my preference which is one on the hip, and one behind the back or other hip.

To be honest, most LEOs don't spend the big bucks on their CCW leather. Oh sure, the real shooters do, but they are few and far between these days in law enforcement. Go to the Galco site and pick a pancake holdster for the 22. The 27 will probably end up on her ankle, the female LEOs I know who carry backups all carry them on their ankles.

Wow - I haven't come across "verisimilitude" since fluid mechanics.

If she's a detective she'll likely carry a compact Glock 23 and not the full size Glock 22.

Also why Glock? Is it by choice or required by agency? If she's ex-military police, are you talking CID? In that case she would've carried a 9mm P228. Likely if by choice she would've carried on with what she knew. If in 40SW than it would be a SIG Sauer P229. The Glock 27 as back up makes sense, however.

As others have said leather is expensive and few make the investment. Popular an well known custom rigs are those Alessi, Rosen, and Arratoonian. More common are Bianchi and Galco

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Because women with taste carry Glocks. ;)

Backup: Ankle carry is cute, but most womens jeans are straight or even tapered leg, so no ankle carry with jeans. DeSantis SOB under lightweight covering garment is handy place for my G33. Miami Classic is a good investment for your detective. Shoulder holsters are best used by two kinds of people: secret agents in the movies and female CCW holders in the real world. Galco makes some fairly happenin' gun purses, as does Coronado. Make sure the purse is never out of physical contact with her while the gun is in it. This means it sits in the same chair with her at restaurants, not under the table or whatever...

I'll see if I can think of anything else...

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

To answer a couple of questions:

I equipped Sgt. Elena Villareal with Glocks because that's the actual issue sidearm for the (real) Sheriff's Department I have assigned her to (in fiction). She's a plain clothes detective on the County's Joint Homicide Task Force (again, a real agency). She'd normally dress in a blouse, light jacket and skirt or slacks, prefers the slacks. Back when she was in uniform, before the Department went to Glocks, she carried a Smith Model 19.

Her Dad was also Military Police and Sheriff's Deputy. He taught her to shoot early and she's a "gun person". I'm thinking of having her shoot some IDPA in a later book (if some brilliant publisher picks it up as a series). It will give her a way to compete with the male protagonist, an ex-military special ops guy who carries a .45 HK SOCOM in a "Famous Jackass" shoulder holster (an original Chicago model, not the recent Galco re-issue).

So far, the Coronado handbag for the G31 and the DeSantis SOB for the G33 sounds workable. If I do give her the handbag I'll be sure to indicate how well she keeps tabs on it (thanks, Tamara -- sounds like personal experience).

There are other gun matters to settle -- for instance, I have to arm three dope runners and figure out what sort of gun a 16 year old could get on the sly (so she can shoot the blackmailer in the back). That stuff's easier to figure out, but when and if the book's published I don't want female LEO's writing me letters about the wrong choices of gunleather.

I appreciate the help, I want to get the gun details right. I'm tired of reading detective novels where the hero thumbs off the safety catch on his blue-nosed revolver. :)

[This message has been edited by David Scott (edited May 23, 2000).]

Back