Walthers in .22?

Tango27

I've always been a fan of the sleek lines of the Walther pistols both the PP(K)(S) series as well as the little TPH, and have always wanted one for the collection. I've avoided purchasing one because I don't want the expense of stocking another caliber of ammunition. I know that these pistols are available in .22 caliber (which would be great since it's so cheap to shoot), but are they particularly rare in comparison to their .380 brothers? Also, are they as reliable in .22 as they are in the other calibers?

Thanks for your expertise!

Tango

I bought my wife a German made TPH several years ago, and it has proved to be as acurate and reliable as the PPK.
I have heard rumors about reliability factors but have never been able to test fire any suspect pistols. As with any .22 handgun, especially those with a short barrel, ammunition selection is a primary factor. We are still working on a quantity of Mini Mags purchased at the same time as the gun.

I have a TPH (early American mfg.) and it has never been reliable. Almost always one jam per mag. often 2 or three. Changing grip, ammo, etc has had little effect. I've just gotten 2 additional mags, so we'll see if that was (is) the problem.

I did have a PPK/S in .22 some years ago (Manurin - Sp?) and it was utterly reliable.

I have had a .2LRr PPK/S for many years. It is reliable and accurate as long as you use high velocity ammunition. I have a .22LR TPH. It is a good pistok but ammunition selection is critical for reliability. I would recommend either model but select your ammunition carefully.

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited January 02, 2000).]

.22 pistols are extremely sensitive to the brand of ammo. I have a quality High Standard that is 100% reliable only with Federal. Using any other brand will result in a failure to cycle the slide completely or stovepiping. I cannot get it to fail using Federal, so that's what I use. I, too, would like to get a reliable Walther TPH, so I hope there is additional feedback re your question.

I have an Interarms TPH and it has always been a reliable piece for me. I wouldn't say it has never jammed on me, but to my recollection, all my jams have been ammo-related. Since I switched to CCI stingers, it has never jammed once.

Accuracy is exceptional, the little thing is capable of 1" groups at 50 feet from a bench rest. Recoil is negligible, and it is a joy to carry concealed.

All in all, I'd say it's a winner. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

I've got a couple of Manhurin made Walthers in .22 LR. Both shoot well but are somewhat ammo sensitive. (more for accuracy than reliability) I've had good luck with Remington's Yellow Jackets, Stingers and CCI's "+ V". The UMC cheap stuff works well but accuracy is so-so.

Giz

Got my .22 Walther PP in Germany in 1966. It hasn't malfunctioned yet. Just wish the sight were a bit easier to see.

I have an Interarms/Walther PPK/S in .22LR.
As said before, ammo selection is critical.
I've found that aftermarket magazines are a waste of time. Stick with the two you get, or try and find factory ones. (I WISH!)

If anybody finds factory ones forsale, send me an email!

-Jon
http://www.22world.com

Back