Walther TPH .22

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougB

I'm thinking of getting a U.S. made stainless steel Walther TPH compact .22. It seems like about the smallest .22 I've seen that I might still be able to shoot with some accuracy (due to the single-action capability and decent sights). I want it to carry hiking, fishing, etc. for plinking, snakes, and self defense. I like the light weight of the new KelTec P32, but the expensive ammo, DAO, and poor sights make it less suitable for plinking (a major purpose for me).

Anyway, I've heard conflicting reports about the Walther's reliability and accuracy. Anyone have experience with this gun? There is a nice used one for sale at a local shop for $330. I know these are pricy guns, but that seems steep for used. Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated.

I am on my second one. The first developed a problem of not firing in DA mode. Worked great on SA. I found another one at a good price and sold off the problem piece. I have since learned that I was not the only one to experience that problem and the problem has not resurfaced with the new pistol. It is the fastest shooting gun I own, I can empty the magazine so fast you can't count the number of shots fired. It feeds reliably high velocity ammo from Remington and CCI, it is flat and accurate. It does have some sharp edges that I don't care for so mine is being taken care of right now. I also had the front and backstrap checkered at 30 lpi.

Jeff,
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to make them an offer for it. What would you consider a good price for used TPH in excellent condition? They are asking $330, but I'm thinking maybe I can get it for $275 or so.

I just ran across an old review in the American Rifleman, and they mentioned a couple of "ignition failures." They didn't say if it was double or single action, but they said that a second double-action pull of the trigger usually worked. Interarms told the reviewer that this happens sometimes with certain brands of ammo (especially Remington).

I recently accqired a German TPH,watch out on S/A mode.
The darn things must be about 1 &1/2lbs !
As Jeff said, very quick firing but real easy to trip off an U/D if you're not careful. ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

I have one of the american ones and absolutely love it. it's small, light, accurate, and mine has been perfectly reliable. I do not ever remember it jamming in the 1500+ rounds I have put through it. I am careful to rotate the mags several times a year, and only use CCI Stingers in mine. They are pricey, but absolutely worth it in my opinion.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

I have owned two American made ones, both had problems with the DA system. First one was under S/N 1000, and upon taking it out of the box, the DA pull was "broken", it would consistantly "break" while pulling the trigger about 2/3 of the way back, falling to 1/2 cock. The second would go through the DA stroke, felt good, problem was it only fell to the 1/2 cock notch about 50% of the time. Fired real good as a SA piece, which is not too handy. JUNK is how I'd describe them. Talking to other folks that have owned one, the reports are about the same, a high percentage of problems. The German ones are outstanding, good luck in finding one. ......SmithNut

Doug, $275 is just right for a used one, I sold mine for that, absolutely not over $300. The $330 tag is about what the price is on a new one I think. If you get a chance I would ask to shoot it before you buy it to check out that DA condition. You can actually watch it screw up if you take off the grip panel and watch the trigger bar as you dry fire it. It is obvious when it has the problem, the hammer does not come back like it should.

The German ones are REAL NICE. They are made with an alloy frame so are much lighter than the American guns, also have the German quality. NIB the are about like Seecamps, $650-$700, I have seen used ones for $450 in 98% condition, still a lot of money for a tiny .22.

Keep trying ammo brands until you find one that your gun likes.

These would make a good candidate for suppressing...

Oh - did I say that out loud?

My bad.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

-- Adolph Hitler
September, 1935

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I have an American TPH. I bought it about 2 years ago. Its the perfect size and I carry it alot, I mean alot. It shoots fine. Mine likes CCI Mini-Mags but it will take about anything. There were problems. It has been back to Walther three times. First for an inordinate amount of machining gouges in the inside of the grip just below the feeding ramp. Walther did nothing to correct or replace it. Second time when the silver plating began pealing off. They replated it. The third time when the magazine release broke and Walther replaced the mechanism. I am a fan of the TPH it is the most accurate mouse gun I have ever seen and you can accurately empty the magazine very rapidly. I would buy another one but will probably replace this TPH when someone else makes something as good. I agree with Jeff about the price, its about right. One last thing, mine has never failed to feed or eject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back