Walther quality?

DeusComedis

Inactive
I have generally been under the impression that HK and SIG (though that might be changing) are considered to make the best consistent quality production handguns (not custom/$2000). I have always been a little confused on Walther.
On one hand their guns feel solid (to me in the LGS at least), and I hear few complaints overall, aside from one or two very specific issue (e.g. slide rattle on original P99s). On the other, people say that their design/fit and finish is top notch, but their long term durability/adverse conditions reliable has never matched HK/SIG. Supposedly this is why while some LE agencies use them, they have never been adopted by a major military (at least since WWII). Is this accurate, or is it just a result of them being a relatively small company. Candid truth please.

Thanks.

DeusComedis said:
...people say that their design/fit and finish is top notch, but their long term durability/adverse conditions reliable has never matched HK/SIG.
I wonder if these people are talking about newer Walthers or the older PP, PPK, PPK/S, and P38/P1. The older pistols have some well-documented flaws—notably a decocker mechanism that tends to break with extended use and is tricky to fix properly, and with the P38/P1, a tendency to crack slides. However, the thing to remember here is that these are older designs.

OTOH I've not heard many negative remarks about the reliability of the PPS, P99, or PPQ. There aren't as many stunt-laden YouTube "torture tests" out there for these pistols as compared to Glock or SIG, but IMHO such videos don't usually demonstrate anything relevant to 99% of real-world buyers anyway. :rolleyes:

That being understood, IMHO the reason for Walther's somewhat shaky reputation compared to HK, SIG, and suchlike can be attributed to 2 factors:
  • A number of Walther models being produced by companies other than Walther —i.e. Interarms (Black Creek / Ranger) PPK and PPK/S in the 70s-90s; S&W PPK and PPK/S from the 90s until recently; and P22, PK380, and CCP by Umarex today.
  • A historically conservative marketing strategy that seemingly placed little emphasis on North American commercial sales of full-size centerfire handguns. Some of this can be pinned on their American distributors, but I think if the home office cared about U.S. commercial sales enough, they would have found a way to make them happen. Very recently, Walther seems to have decided to turn this around with the S&W/Walther "divorce".
DeusComedis said:
...they have never been adopted by a major military (at least since WWII).
The P1 was the primary issue handgun of the Bundeswehr for decades.

IIRC variants of the P99 are currently used by the Finnish and Polish militaries.
DeusComedis said:
...is it just a result of them being a relatively small company.
Actually, IMHO it's primarily the somewhat ironic result of their conservative marketing strategy, which placed heavy emphasis on selling pistols to European LE and military forces but not much emphasis on telling the American public about it (with ads showing butch-looking guys in camo crawling through the mud or breaking down doors). :rolleyes:

One also has to be aware of what is a "real" Walther and what is a Umarex Walther. The PK380 is a Umarex Walther and not considered as up to "real" Walther standards.

I have had AMAZING experiences with Walther P99s and now have several. They're excellent guns with excellent features.

However, as has been said, not all Walthers are created equal. The P22s I've had are decent, but nowhere near as reliable.

Walther is used by police forces the world over. With their PPQ .45 ACP M2 they have now come for the American market. The PPQ .45 does not come with Walther's typical paddle mag release but they've decided to go with the M2 or American style button release. The German made Walther PPQ .45 is a superb pistol with a fit and finish that can proudly match up against any of the top gun makers. It is a striker-fired polymer pistol that acts like a solid steel framed SIG. My only gripe is that is comes with plastic contrast sights. I changed these out with Trijicon steel night sights and now its an A-One firearm.

I can only vouch for the ones I'm personally familiar with---the PPQ, P99AS and P38/P-1 are top notch weapons.

The PPQ and P99AS are two of my favorite of all 9mms, with the latter especially being an Ultimate Top 5 CCW piece. I say that regardless of price, but when you factor in the very low price, I rate the P99AS as #1.

Always wanted a P88 as well, one of the early wunder nines, but it was very pricey and therefore unobtainable to me as a youngster when they came out. Wish I would have scooped up several of those during the dark Year of Obama 2009, when luxury/collector guns were selling for peanuts. Would've made better investments than many stocks...

Deuscomedis: said:
On the other, people say that their design/fit and finish is top notch, but their long term durability/adverse conditions reliable has never matched HK/SIG.

I would rate the design/fit and finish of my Walther PPS M2 "as good as" my 2 Glocks, and "almost as good" as my 2 HK's. With @600 rounds through my PPS M2 so far, including about 200 rounds of that FILTHY Win USAForged steelcased ammo, this is now my EDC gun :)

Long term durability and reliability under adverse conditions depends more on how well I operate & maintain my guns, rather than what "people" say!

The modern Walthers that are actually made by Walther are outstanding products. I'd have no doubts about their reliability and would easily trust them for EDC.

I have a PPX which is one of the ugliest handguns ever made, but has an outstanding trigger pull, is rifle accurate, and has never jammed once in over 4,000 rounds.
It looks so bad I wanted to dislike it, but after shooting it a lot, it has become one of my favorite 9mms ever.

I sold my glock 19 for the PPQ M1 mm and sold my Springfield XD 40 For the PPQ M2 40. I have no regrets at all only wish I had done it sooner.

Last edited:
I have the Magnum Research Eagle 9mm that I'm particularly fond of. The MR9 is basically a P99 with a little MR customization of the slide. Outstanding firearm with the Walther Anti Stress trigger and flush side mounted de cocker. It's a real tack driver too. So, yes I'm a Walther fan! :) Very highquality firearms that are undermarketed here in the U.S. Standout models are the PPS, PPQ and P99, etc.

The Walther / Smith and Wesson PPS is way overrated . Just my opinion.

Care to qualify? I know it isn't perfect but as far as small, single-stack, striker-fired, polymer nines with good triggers and variable grip sizes...

To Walther?

I, myself have also considered a Walther. A PPQ M2 chambered in 9mm to be exact. The fit was tight and trigger amazing (LGS). While I have never fired one at the range, upfront opinions seemed to be on point. As far as reliability, worst case scenario, Walther has recently implemented a lifetime warranty across their entire product line were things to go south....So the value is there.

I think the issue for everyone including myself at this point is to get over the stigma that Walther isn't as good as the big boys, Glock, Sig you name it.

Good luck with your choice,

Camaroman20

I've a ppq m2 9mm, Gen 3 glock 17, and a ppx 9mm. I do agree with the comment that the ppx is the ugliest gun ever. But it is accurate and works. Factory ammo is perfect, throat is a bit tight for some of my reloads (150gr)but that is my issue, not really the gun's. The glock is a glock. Works, but poor trigger as compared to either of the Walthers. And not as accurate. I don't carry the glock, it is a night drawer gun with a laser on it. More of a backup. Now the ppq is my carry gun. Accurate and great trigger with minimal reset. Eats my rounds, no issues fits my hand like a glove. Actually better than most gloves.
Get one.

I had an S&W/Walther PPK/S awhile back. Nicest "small" pistol I ever put my hands on. But my opinion may not be entirely objective, I have never been into Glocks, S&W M&P, and other similar types of pistols. I'm a blued or stainless steel with wood grips kinda guy.

Anyway, I never had a malfunction of any kind with my PPK/S. The only thing that could be called a flaw in my opinion was the almost sharp edges around the grip frame. I would have liked it of there was a little more in the way of beveling those edges from the factory.. I installed a set of Altamont rosewood grips that had a fatter more formed fit to my hand and that pretty much remedied that. All in all, I would absolutely get another PPK/S at some point. I only sacrificed it to finance the purchase of a firearm I wanted more. But for that, I would still have it.

Back