Walther PPK/S 9mmkurz pistol, serial # 146xxx S

JDP

I have a Walther PPK/S 9mm kurz pistol with the serial number 146xxx S, along with two magazines with pinky extensions and a cleaning rod. I have the original box and an undated test target with the gun’s serial number.

I have read a number of blogs and other material about the gun and would like to confirm with anyone willing assist what I think I know about my gun.

FACTS:
LEFT SIDE OF SLIDE
- Muzzle-end of slide bears the Walther ribbon logo
- Beneath reads: “Made in W. Germany”
- Breach end of slide reads:
“Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.” (1st line)
“Modell PPK Cal. 9mmkurz” (2nd line).

RIGHT SIDE OF SLIDE
- Muzzle-end of slide reads INTERARMS (1st line) and Alexandria Virginia (2nd line) both words are stamped over their star logo
- Breach-end of the slide at its bottom edge is stamped the German eagle over N (proof mark of House of Ulm)

CHAMBER (exposed through ejection portal)
- Stamped “71” (born on date), a deer antler, and the German eagle over N

RIGHT SIDE OF FRAME
- Serial # is stamped vertically along the edge of the plastic stock.

Along with other things I have read, I believe this gun was manufacture in Manurhin, France and returned to Germany for assembly, thus the “Made in W. Germany” mark on the left side of the slide. I believe the born-on-date is 1971. The gun was shipped to the U.S.A. to Internet Arms in Alexandria, VA for sale.

You pretty much have it right.
These PP series guns were made by Manurhin in France, but the country where a gun is final proofed in is considered to be the country of manufacture in Europe.

These were very high quality pistols, and were highly favored by American cops and actual intelligence people, not to mention James Bond fans.
In Europe they call it the 9mm Kurtz or Corto, in the USA it's the .380 ACP.

These guns seem to "like" a light coat of grease on the barrel and slide and frame rails.

The slide says PPK because the PPK/S guns were a PP frame with a PPK slide.

Walther came up with this combination to deal with U.S. import restrictions enacted in 1968. The PPK would no longer meet import requirements, but swapping in the slightly larger/heavier PP frame was enough to bump the gun over the threshold.

Thank you, JohnKSa, Dfariswheel, and micromontenegro for your replies. They are much appreciated.

micromontenegro, thanks for spotting my omission error in “Modell PPK Cal. 9mmkurz” (2nd line). I inadvertently left off the /S after PPK. The stamp on the left side of the slide does, indeed, read: “Modell PPK/S Cal. 9mmkurz” (2nd line). You are very astute.

Any thoughts on a value for this PPK/S?

Regarding value, I should have mentioned the overall condition of the gun is 99- percent.
The most significant marks on the gun are some handling wear to the bluing on the corner edges of the front strap and back strap. It is most significant on the bottom right of the backstrap. Thus my 99- assessment. There are a couple of very tiny, light scratches on right side of the slide; you have to get these in the right light and at the right angle to see them. The original black plastic checkered grips are like new, with no damage or other marks. I also have two original magazines, original box (a little tattered with one corner split), original manual in excellent condition, original cleaning rod, original test target (undated but with serial number).

That combination of parts makes a PPK/S indeed, but slides were marked PPK/S. A slide marked PPK in a PP frame is a frankenstein gun.
That appears to be correct. I was thinking that perhaps some of the early PPK/S guns might have PPK marked slides, but I've found pictures of PPK/S from as early as 1969 with PPK/S marked slides.
The stamp on the left side of the slide does, indeed, read: “Modell PPK/S Cal. 9mmkurz” (2nd line).
Very good!
Any thoughts on a value for this PPK/S?
Hard to say. You can look at online auction results where the gun actually sold and see what sale prices for similar guns are.

My very quick looking suggests that something in the range of $1000 is not out of the question.

A little bit of back ground information, after the passage of the GCA 68, imported firearms had to be marked with nation of origin (in this case, W. Germany) and the importer's name and address ( INTERARMS, Alexandria Virginia).

Handguns were "rated" with a points system, based on (among other things) their height and length. The PPK was 1/4" (one quarter inch) too small to qualify for importation. Swapping the PPK frame for the slightly larger PP frame brought to combined measurements up enough to be allowed importation. Those guns have always been designated PPK/S.

The standing joke at the time was that the "/S" stood for "stupid American law" but there's no official confirmation of that. :rolleyes:

Once again, thank all you guys for chiming in. I especially like the part about $1,000. I thought that that might be the case, but I am glad to hear someone else say it. Thanks again.

Back