Walther PP

Rodger Parrish

Went to a gun shop on my lunch hour. They had several West German made Walther PP's for sale, two mags, plastic case, cleaning rod. The one I looked at appeared to be unfired (well, almost unfired) The dealer said he could let me have it for $329.00. Is this a fair deal for central Ohio?

Rodger,

AIM Surplus in Middletown lists the German Walther PP32s for $249. Doesn't say if there as nice as the one you're looking at, though. I picked a Manhurin PP32 just before Christmas, at AIM, and it was well worth the money. Is the Walther you're looking at an Interarms import? Vances?

--
Mike

The PPs coming into the country are police trade-ins from various German police agencies, both state and federal. This is a good time to find a bargain.

AIM Surplus and SOG both have these listed in the $250 range. Of course, you have to pay shipping and whatever charge your FFL makes for the transfer. This can easily add another $50 to the cost.

And, alas, they don't really offer the chance to make a personal choice, it's dealer's luck as to what arrives in the mail. However, all the PPs I've seen recently have been in very good to excellent shape, using the NRA scale. Most have only holster wear.

So, essentially, your dealer needs to make a profit too. Add up the numbers and see if that's fair to you and him.

If so, it's a fine time to buy a classic handgun for a reasonable price.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

mbott,

I don't think these were imported by Interarms as they seem to be of recent import. And, no, I was at a shop in Lancaster.

Oh, and thanks for the imput.

Strayhorn,

AIM Surplus and SOG both have these listed in the $250 range. Of course, you have to pay shipping and whatever charge your FFL makes for the transfer. This can easily add another $50 to the cost.

And, alas, they don't really offer the chance to make a personal choice, it's dealer's luck as to what arrives in the mail. However, all the PPs I've seen recently have been in very good to excellent shape, using the NRA scale. Most have only holster wear.

So, essentially, your dealer needs to make a profit too. Add up the numbers and see if that's fair to you and him.

AIM has a small storefront, or better called, a walk-in closet, where anyone can purchase directly from them. Middletown, is in west central OH. SOG is about 25 minutes from Middletown, and used to do the same, but I believe they no longer permit walk-ins. I've purchased from both, over the internet and in person, and mostly C&R stuff with my 03 FFL.

When there in person, you do have the opportunity to look over what you're purchasing before you buy...just like any gunshop. Decent deals on ammo, too.

--
Mike

Well, yes, I'm aware of the storefront. But it's something of an expense for me to drive from North Carolina. Last time I drove to that region, it was a 14-hour trip.

AIM has been very nice to me on the phone. I have called them several times to make sure something was in stock before I had my dealer make the transfer. I've not been able to get them to do a "hand select" for extra cash, though.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

You might still get one of these:

View

I bought this Manurhin PP pistol from Dan's Sporting Goods(724-727-2648) in December of 2000. Last weekend, he still had 2 left in his display case at a local gunshow.

At $200, plus shipping to your FFL (or you, if you have a C&R license) and your FFL's transfer fee, you should be under the $325 you quoted.

My gun displays minor holster wear, but the internals look about brand new. The target was shot with the cheap FN ammo pictured, from 10 yards offhand. I believe it was 25 rounds.

Dan is a good guy, with great deals on ammo & his guns are very fairly priced. I would recommend you give him a call, tell him "Kevin" sent you from a posting on this forum.

Kevinch,
Even at a whimpy 10yds, that is great shooting. My neighbor has an old PP & we can't shoot it straight for anything.
Last week, his 12yr old had shot quite a few rounds at the large 25yd targets, from 10yds & it looked like a shotgun pattern. No way to even tell where he was aiming. We moved to a target that someone left, (with no holes in the middle!) and he shot my new Kimber. All 8rds within the 4" center. We've also had a lot of feeding problems. I'm going to try and polish the ramp & see if that helps at all. They are using really cheap Fiochi or S&B ammo.

How does your safety lever work? At what point during the arc does the trigger drop? On a friend's Manhurin the safety doesn't drop until the very end of the arc, and then you have to push it hard sometimes to get it to drop.

After April of l945 the production of Walther PP and PPk pistols ended. Every pistol made after that date was actually and secretly made in France by Manhurin. The pistols where then shipped to Germany where they were blued and proofed and then sold as " Made in Germany pistols." I have a letter from the president of Manuhrin stating this. The only reason this ever came to light was the fact that Walther gave the Americans the right to use the Walther Banner trade mark when they began manufacture of these pistols in the U.S.
Manhurin pistols are very well made, reliable and accurate. They are far superior to the American made trash that has been sold to the public in recent years. You would think that after almost 20 years the Americans would have finally learned how to make a Walther that would work. So far I have not owned one that I have did not have least one or more problems with.
Also another note, most of the new Walther P99's that are coming into the Gun stores in my area have Smith & Wesson slides and barrels. You can spot them easily they have a cheap painted logo not a roll marked logo on the slide and there are no German proof marks on the barrel and slide. Walther claims that only a small amount of these were made but all of the recent arrivals in my area are not real Walthers but the fake Smith & Western hybirds which are worth nothing in resale value to collectors of Walther pistols. W.R.

There was never any secrecy involved when the manufacturing involved Manhurin. The previous poster implied super secrecy and there was none of that involved. Most Manhurin firearms were sent back to Germany for final finishing.

Back