Walther PP Production Question

Handgunner00

Research into the production of the Walther PP is fairly consistent thru 1986 with ample info on the Manurhin/French manufacturing and Olm/German finishing and proofing. One source indicates that the Walther PP was actually manufactured in Olm, West Germany, from 1986 to 1999. Can any Walther fans in The Firing Line family confirm this fact and, if so, point me to a list of serial numbers by year of production 1986-1999 like those so common in the earlier years?
Thanks. Peter

Good question.

I hope someone can. That history is really murky with manufacture and markings It’s just kind of random it seems.

I had a West German Police issue PP that was marked Manurihn.

Supposedly they got the contract because they were cheaper than the “German“ PP’s.

Go figure.

PP

My PP is circa 1941 so I have no direct info.

There is Walther web site that is very detailed. I believe it's Walther Forum.com

Good luck.

Dieter Marschall deals with the question in his book, considered by most as the best resource on the Walter pistol line.
cb494b3a6840d4bd0a015ff0b18eda87.jpg

- gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli

Generally, from 1952 until 1986 all PP series pistols were made in France. Walther took back production to Ulm at that point. Production of the PP ended in 1999. Production of the PPK moved to the US in the 1980s. PPK/S production, started in Europe and imported after 1968 in response to the GCA also moved to the US, produced by Interarms and later by S&W. PPK and /S production is once again German with the newest generation of pistols.

Walther PP - Walther's original factory was located in Zella-Mehlis in the state (Land) of Thuringia, in present-day eastern Germany which was occupied by the Soviet Union following World War II, Walther established a new factory in Ulm. However, for several years following the war, the Allied powers forbade any manufacture of weapons in Germany. As a result, in 1952, Walther licensed production of the PP series pistols to Manurhin who manufactured the PP series until 1986. In fact, all postwar European-made PP series pistols manufactured until 1986 were manufactured by Manurhin, even though the pistol slide may bear the markings of the Walther factory in Ulm.[4]

I should qualify my statement. PPK production started in the US for US customers, but continued in Ulm for everyone else.

Thanks all for the info. The Dieter Marschall book is available on Amazon in paperback for only $119.99 plus postage. Yep...you read it correctly. And I did pose this question to the Walther Forum and received no response. Of course, The Firing Line family will always contribute to a better understanding of our firearms as reflected in this thread.

Peter

Thanks all for the info. The Dieter Marschall book is available on Amazon in paperback for only $119.99 plus postage. Yep...you read it correctly. And I did pose this question to the Walther Forum and received no response. Of course, The Firing Line family will always contribute to a better understanding of our firearms as reflected in this thread.

Peter

The newest edition is available from Legacy Collectibles for $50
Plus shipping. The Amazon book with the blue cover is the older edition.

Back