Walther PP/PPK .32 vs. .380

Hays

I really want to own a German-made PP or PPK. I was wondering if the reliability and accuracy is roughly the same in the .32 and .380. Which would be your preference and why?

I noticed that AIM surplus is selling blue German PP .32's for $250. According to their advertisement, they are very good to excellent condition, include 2 mags and original box. Is that a good deal? I've ordered several guns from AIM in the past and have always felt they were honest in their advertisements.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

I would recommend the .32. That is the cartridge the gun was designed around. I have a ppk/s in 380 and am really tempted by the 32's that you mention.

Hello. I own both and prefer the .32ACP for shooting. The used (Police) Walther PP is utterly reliable while the German-made (new)PP is NEARLY as reliable and much less pleasant to shoot. I don't get "slide bite" with the .32, but will get it with the .380ACP. Since neither of these are used for defense in my case, I use the .32 for some plinking and to put in the tackle box.

I also find the sights well-regulated out of the box, so to speak, with the smaller caliber while the .380 shoots high at any distance beyond about 10 yards.

Best.

Hello ds1973! At 15 yards, the .380 hits about 6" high and double that at 25 yards. The .32 remains so close to "on" that I'm not sure at what range it's sighted in for. As best as I recall, groups were decent for a pocket gun, something like 2" @ 15 yards for 5 shots and I'm sure that most of this was my human error.

Best.

I own the PPK in .380. It's got as much felt recoil as my 1911 in .45acp. It really gives you a work out when you shoot a hundred rounds through it.

Of course, if I ever have to use it in a time of need, I'm glad I'm using the .380 instead of a smaller round.

Back