Walther PP made in France?WTF? Anyone heard of this one?Should I buy it?

45automan

Hey guys saw one at a shop. It is blued and in near mint shape. It is $350. It says Walther and some other stuff on the slide. It also says made in France on the right side of the slide. The man in the shop said it was made about 1960 under license from Walther. I almost picked it up but since this is the first I've heard of this kind of Walther I waited and I'am checking here.
Thanks,45automan

Yes. I've heard of it. For sometime after WW2 weapons could not be produced by German companies. Walther liscenced a Frenc company (I believe it was Mautharin) tp produce the PP and PPk. All pistols produced in France are marked as made in France as you describe. Ones I have seen do not have quite as good a finnish as German made pistols, but seeed to be well made and were reliable. After Walther was able to produce pistols in Germany they no longer liscenced French production.

Years ago I had a French made PPK in 22LR. Finish was as good as the German guns and it was utterly reliable and quite acurate. A fellow made an offer I couldn't refuse and I let it go. Wish I had another.

The correct name is Manurhin, which is now owned by the Chapuis family. Manurhin is better known for the revolvers like the MR73, but they also make a lot of the commercial reloading presses used by ammunition mfrs.

After Walther sat by as countless Christians, Jews, Gypsies, Russians, etc. were worked, beaten and starved to death, he moved his operations to France. In a fitting conclusion, the former inmate-workers dispatched from Buchenwald, I believe, destroyed the plant after the Walther, I.G. Farben (Bayer Aspirin) and Diamler Benz among others never missed a beat after hiding their complicity in the Holocaust.

The Manhurin, despite it's lineage is an excellent pistol. A friend of mine has one and carries it for self-defense. A true piece of history that I hope never repeats itself.

WALTHER'S THAT AIN'T...

After WWII all WALTHER PP and PPK, plus the PPKs were amde in France by the MANURHIN Company. Even those marked MADE IN GERMANY were made in France. There are no laws in Germany about truth in advertising. Some years ago [ maybe 15...0r 20 ] the MANURHIN company decided to market the pistols under their own name. The INTERARMS company that marketed WALTHER pistols in the U S of A said "WELL f... YOU" and set up a factory in Arkansas to make WALTHER pistols. Since WWII no WALTHER pistols have been made WALTHER. NONE.
By the way the name is pronounced VAALLter.

Since WWII no WALTHER pistols have been made WALTHER. NONE.

I think you are forgetting the P5, P88 & P99. Saw some of those when I was touring the factory in Ulm last March. Walther is now owned by Umarex, who make airguns.

BTW, I think the Interarms plant was called Ranger, located in Alabama.

The chronology in these posts is a bit confused. During WWII, Walther made arms for Germany. After the war, the Walther plant at Zella-Mehlis, Thuringia, was in the Soviet zone of occupation (which became the German Democratic Republic, or DDR in the German abbreviation) and the DDR authorities did not resume production of arms. The plant was used to make machinery, and was not destroyed by angry slave laborers or anyone else.

Walther could not manufacture arms in Germany and licensed the French company Manufacture d'Armes de Haut Rhin (MANURHIN) to make the Walther PP (Polizei Pistole) and PPK (Polizel Pistole Kriminal) pistols. These pistols were marked with the MANURHIN trade mark and those imported here were marked "Made in France". The first imports came in around 1960. At some point, Walther took over the assembly of those pistols and from that point they were marked with the Ulm-Donau address and "Made in Germany". In fact, they were still made in France. When Walther actually resumed manufacture in Germany, I don't know, but they did.

The U.S. operation was set up under by Interarms under Walther license after the Gun Control Act of 1968 banned import of the PPK and the exchange rate made importing European made pistols a losing proposition. The PPK/S is essentially a marriage of the PPK slide and the PP frame, designed to garner enough "points" for importation. Nonetheless almost all were made here and it was the only U.S. made product for many years.

Recently, Interarms fell on hard times and the U.S. Walther import and manufacturing operations have been taken over by Smith & Wesson as a supposedly independent operation.

I apologize for the "holes" in this narrative, but if needed, I will do more research.

Jim

Manurhin PPk

I have the PP and the PPK/s both in .22lr and they are very fine crafted pistols.
They are very reliable and accurate.
I highly reccomend them IF you can find one.
I paid $400.00 each a few years back.
An old friend of mine may have one NIB for sale
You can call Blaze at 562-697-1948 Pacific Time.
He sells only Top Drawer pistols and he is an FFL dealer.
BTW forget about the Interarms investment casting junk,
My American PPK does nothing but Jam!!!!
My wife uses the .22LR PPK for personal defense in her purse while out and about...

I had a Manurhin PP .32, made under Walther license and so marked. It was a very well made and reliable pistol.

Frankly, I wish that the Manurhin PPK/S .380 was still imported into the U.S. IMHO (no flames, please) it was a better quality gun than the PPK/S made here. :)

Jima Keenan:

I better do the research but if I am not mistaken, Walther had more than one plant making the P38 and these plants used slave labor.

I appreciate your clarity and I will do my homework.

Back