Walther PP issues

ammo.crafter

Walther PP in 32acp circa 1942.

Two issues:
1. FTF and FTE; will feed and eject a single round from magazine but jam most times with loaded magazine. I did replace the slide spring with a new Wolf spring and new magazine, to not avail.

2. The double action first trigger pull no longer functions, but single action does.

I would appreciate all suggestions.

FTF- two possibilities: firing pin not retracting all the way when fired. Or the extractor is interfering with the round as it feeds.

DA not working- there is a small spring that controls the DA sear which might be fouled or damaged. The trigger bar or the sear notch in the DA sear could also be damaged.

The PP and PPK are pretty simple mechanisms, you can see everything when you field strip them.

ammo.crafter said:
FTF and FTE; will feed and eject a single round from magazine but jam most times with loaded magazine.
What brand and type of ammo are you using?

My 1944 PP prefers hot (read: European) ammo with round-nose bullets. It jams frequently on Aguila and Remington, and it absolutely will not feed the truncated-cone Winchester White Box bullets.

Here's some possible help.....

1. FTF FTE: HOW is it jamming? Failing to feed into the chamber, or??
Disassemble and clean the magazine.
Check the spring for loss of tension.
Try a new magazine. NOT one of the cheap "replacement" mags and not another used mag if possible.
Scrub the chamber with a chamber brush.
Check the feed ramp for roughness or fouling.
Clean the gun itself by field stripping and removing the grips. Flush out well, dry, and re-lubricate.

2. Double action not functioning.
Probable cause is a fouled/stuck/broken double action strut on the hammer.
Field strip and remove the grips. You can see the DA strut.
Check it for free movement or sticking.
Check the sear to insure it drops all the way down under spring pressure and allows the DA strut to reset.
Check the draw bar and the sear on the right side for proper operation.
In DA and SA the draw bar should hook the sear and rotate it up, releasing the hammer.
As above, clean the action thoroughly.

Back