Walther PP 7.65mm safety decocker question

JERRYS.

I recently lucked into a good condition Walther PP .32/7.65mm. There is one quirk or issue with it and that is the safety/decocker does not go all the way down to cover the red dot. it does decock the gun but it takes some doing to get the safety/decocker down to activate it.

I've been told that there were different firing pins for these guns and they have to be mated with the correct safety/decocker. is anyone in the know about this?

ok, with the slide off I took a tool and pulled the firing pin forward and the decocker level moves its full range and snaps into its positions as it should. I can only surmise that the firing pin is not allowing the decocker lever its full movement. could this be because of the round vs. square firing pin styles?

ok, I took some pix and somebody definitely took a doobie grinder to the firing pin shoulder. I can't post pix here but I can now see its not the safety decocker, its the fining pin shoulder. odd as it is, the gun shoots correctly.

my question is now which firing pin do I buy to replace the messed up one, the square or round? my gun is a west German made Walther imported by Interarms. there is a less that 3 minute youtube video on this job and it seems fairly easy.

Last edited:
I'm using Earl's repair shop [carlwather.com]

Mine is not an Interarms PP. it is made in West Germany and imported by Interarms.

$84 for a firing pin, damn. they tried to sell me a recoil spring for $20. I think I will go with Wolff if that is even needed for this gun.

I'm glad they were able to get you repaired, $84 to get your gun up and running correctly is what they were asking, you could of always said no lol. I would just be happy that it was fixed right.

slide is still in transit. I wonder what the firing pin they put in it for $84 will do that the ones on Gunbroker for $45 won't?

When using the decocker, it's a very good idea to use your thumb to lower the hammer. I have seen a couple of Walther decockers break in half.

thanks for the tip Bill. I had a ppk 380 in the 90s and never heard of that before.

after $84 for the firing pin, $20 labor and $36 shipping back to me (not counting the $16 I paid to ship it to them). I think I should have just bought an old version firing pin and done it myself in about 3 minutes. This is not a gripe on workmanship, but on the parts mark-up. I guess that's what you have to deal with in regards to the authorized repair facilities and OEM parts.

Back