Walther P99

muzzletalk

Today I went to the local gun show without my wife (lol).
I bought a Walther P99. I just wanted to get a general consensus of the pistol. I have always wanted one but so far, I have only read the reviews, which have been good. I haven’t gotten the chance to shoot it yet but plan on it this week. I am interested on what people have to say about the gun (Pro and Con).

thanks
M

Nice feel, great grip. Some like the trigger while others don't (I do). My biggest complaint (which is minor) is that the tip of your trigger finger seems to rub uncomfortably against the ridges on the mag release of the opposite side after a lot of firing (you'll see). Overall, however, I love the gun and think you will too.

branrot and I

seem to always have nice things to say about the P99. I own a fourty and have crossed the 1200 rnd barrier this week.

It is a sexy gun, I had some problems with slide lock during the break in phase, a good cleaning of the mags was in order, since then, not a problem.

I would advise a cleaning of the stryker assy (in the manual). It has smoother my trigger out a little and a few others who have bought one agree.

Currently, I have the large backstrap on and the factory chosen sight- front. I am thinking about going back to the med.

I think this gun is acurate to a fault, easy to strip and easy to carry.

The only complaint is that assy's are hard to comeby.

Some on this board love it, some hate it. It had some growing pains from the 98 and 99 models that dealt with feed problems, broken firing pins and cracked frames. I think that they have all been fixed except you hear about a frame crack every once in a while.

Give it 200 rnds before you comment on anything, good or bad and then check in with us Walther lovers.

I own a P99 in 9mm and love it. I have put 1500 rds through it with out problems, aside from my wife limp wristing it a few times. Definitely clean the striker assembly, an put just a bit of light oil on it. I also pushed out the trigger pin and lubed it lightly which also helped smooth out the trigger.

If you own a 9mm, there still are some legal high caps (standard capacity?) available, but like for any gun they are pricey. The cheapest I was able to find them was about $90 a piece, but that was 4 months ago. Apparently back in 1994, MecGar, cranked out 2500 16rd magazines, while the P99 was being tested here. So even though the gun didn't debut until 1997, it has legal high caps available.

I used the largest backstrap for a while, until my wife insisted I let her try the gun with the smallest backstrap. I found this configuration to be most accurate for myself also and haven't switched back.

Enjoy your new gun, I sure enjoy mine :)

I really like my .40 P-99
It has never jamed and is easy to clean. I
think I'd like different sights some day...
but I'm in no hurry.
Enjoy, you will!
I got extra mags through Walther...
had a heck of a time finding them
elsewhere.

I have P99QPQ in .40S&W and I think it is a great pistol!

It is very accurate, reliable and has great ergonomics.

If there is a complaint to be made on my part, it is that there's no aftermark .357 Sig barrels currently available for it! :( Aside from that I have had nothing but great luck from the P99.

I am using a DeSantis Millenium Speed Scabbard to carry the pistol.

As far as mags go, I got my spare from CDNN Investments for I believe 30 dollars. Check their website http://www.cdnninvestments.com to see if there are any in stock.

Derek

A friend has one. I really like the pointability, but not the reliability. After a few hundred rounds without cleaning - say, during a class - it starts having an occasional failure to chamber; the back of the slide has to be tapped. After another box or two is fired, the dirt (?) builds up and impairs the trigger pull. I've heard these symptoms are not uncommon, and replacing the recoil spring didn't help. He's dealing with this by cleaning the pistol after every couple of boxes of ammo. Then it's OK.

His other pistols - BHP, 1911, CZ, etc. - work fine, so I'm inclined to think there's something wrong with the P99 rather than his maintenance.

(If someone says they have a P99 that has gone 5000 rounds between cleanings and still functions 100%, fine. I'm just saying that despite what Walther fans say, not every P99 works perfectly all the time.)

i have had my Walther-P99 for a year now and i love it, it's one of the best 9mm out there today, and i hope you have fun with your Walther-P99 i know i have.

Back