Walther P99 Review First Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

hube1236

Today my buddy and I went the "Rampart Range" uphere in Colorado Springs to try out my new P99-0.40. Truth be told, this is the first handgun I ever shot so my opinion will be biased. I loved it, I mean I heard music. The gun behaved exceptionally well. No jams.

I did not know what to expect as far as a recoil and was quickly surprised by a pronounced, but subtle kickback. I was shooting standing prone at a target 25 yards or so away. Out of the eleven shots (1 in the chamber) I hit the target six times- two of which in the circle I was actually aiming for.

The next excercise was to blast away at a metal tub 75 yards away. I hit that thing six times.

My buddy and his wife then shot it- it jammed twice on them, but I think it was the windmill they gave the piece after firing- no attempt at holding the gun steady.

I then shot his D/A ruger 357 with 357's and 38's. Much more pronounced "concussion" at firing- I felt like I was standing next to a base drum. Completely different feel.

I fired throughout the afternoon with it and was hitting the target(s) okay, but I know it is me- looking down the barrel and seeing the sights dance all over.

I purchased a gun that comes complete with adjustible grips, sights and a few other adjustments, I would like to earn this gun by being able to hit a broad side with it. What would be some ggod exercises to increase shooting accuracy- I know shooting a lot of rounds is the key, but are there methods to get better faster? Also, how often should I clean the gun, after firing it, or does a good fingerprint wipedown work?

[This message has been edited by hube1236 (edited May 08, 2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back