Walther P99 QA .40 range report

Mr. Pub

I recently bought a Walther P99 QA "quick action".40 semiauto and have fired about 350 rounds through it without a hiccup. I fired 155 gr. Federal FMJ and 135 gr., 155 gr. and 165 gr. Proload gold dot.

I have not noticed any cracks in the polymer, though there is a small mold mark just infront of the trigger guard that was there when I got the gun new.

The QA version is like a Glock with a DAO, 6.5 lb. precocked trigger that travels only 1/4". It has a nice, wide smooth trigger (no trigger safety).

It comes with a built-in decocker, adjustable three dot sights with three different length front sights included. It also has three different sized grips you can add to it.

It has a loaded chamber indicator and a cocking indicator. It comes with two metal magazines and has a light rail. Walther includes a target in the box with my gun's serial number on it and 5 shots in the bullseye at 25m. The rest is in german. The holes in the target look a little small for .40, but the target has got my serial number on it, .40 s&w is checked and the Schutze was some guy named Schmid.

It is as accurate as I am. It feels like a HK USP, without the SA/DA. I found that the largest grip extension seemed to work best for me as it reduced the muzzle flip which is a little more than a glock, but about the same as a HK USP full size.

All in all, I like it alot. The only thing that I need to do is to put on AGRIP or some other grip cover as my hand occasionally gets pinched between the grip and the grip extension.

Thanks for the review... I love the feel of these pistols, but I'm afraid to try one as I might end up in even more debt ;).

What do you plan on using as a carry load?

Use a little rubber cement to fill the edges in or send it back.

I have the original trigger P-99 and have been advocating the Walther on this forum for close to a year now. I love the gun :D

I have large hands so I automatically went with the large grip. I have recently moved to the med grip again and it just feels better.

I prefer the georgia arms 155 40's for practice and Gsabers for carry. I would like to try the proloads though. You can get night sights from the place in Shrewsbury for $75 and they only need the slide. I think I am going to give my self these for my birthday.

Shoot well, shoot a lot. Walther.

Hey Hube or anyone: do you know what kind of rail light fits the P99 and where to get it?

Obviously my Glock M3 light won't fit.

thanks.

Mylhouse,

How well is your Walther and your Sprinco holding up? I just got one and have been in contact with the guys at Sprinco. The recoil spring is really strong and I'm worried that I'm putting too much pressure on the slide release. Have you noticed any unusual damage? How many rounds have you fired with it in? I've shot about 100, but I've been loading snapcaps as the last round so the slide doesn't lock back. I must admit, it does reduce the recoil quite nicely. Unfortunately it doesn't feel right like the Sprinco I've got in my Sig P220. Now that's nice and it's worked for three years without any ill affects.

Any other info would be appreciated.

-Red-

Is the spring captive like the factory spring? I just got my Sprinco and haven't tried putting it in. I was surprised to see that the spring is not captive.

Gorthaur,

The main spring is not captive, and it is a beeotch to get in. Once it is in, you will love it.

Redhook,

I have about 300 rounds through mine. I bought an unused prototype model (1 of 2) from a TFL member. I had to "break" mine in (which just consisted of me putting rounds downrange with it installed), but it has been great. I notice a HUGE difference in muzzle flip and perceived recoil. You'll best notice the difference if you try benchresting a string with the stock spring, and then one with the Sprinco unit installed, using the same ammo. To tell you the truth, I can't really say if the unit is bad for the slide lock or not. You make a good point and I hadn't really thought about it. I had two instances where the slide DIDN'T lock back on the last round. But that could have been due to a high thumb hold. What do the guys at Sprinco have to say? Myself, I wouldn't worry about it...it seems that the slide lock engages right after the height of slide travel, so the extra pounds of spring pressure haven't had excessive amounts of momentum before engaging the lock. Besides, I would think that if the slide had too much velocity on the return stroke, it would defeat the slide lock. Now I'm beginning to wonder how much extra slide locks cost....;)

Don't you hate it when you just finish posting and you think of something more to say

It seems that a lot of Glock owners are using the Sprinco unit, as well as other systems with much heavier springs. I haven't heard of any complaints from Glock owners, and I have no reason to believe that the Walther is any less tough than a Glock 22/23.

In conclusion, I look at it this way...Either you beat up your frame and who knows what else on recoil from firing the weapon (propellent GAS power)...or you beat up the slide lock and who knows what else on the return stroke of the slide from SPRING power. I'll take the latter of the two, considering the benefits to ME (not having to search for brass that got flung a mile, less flip, less recoil, better double taps, etc). Hope all this helps.

Mylhouse,

I got a version that Sprinco recently modified. It appears that the prototypes worked great, but when they went into production, a stronger recoil and sub spring was used. They had to cut down the length of the recoil spring a little so that it would operate reliably. As a result, there is no dead coil on the end of one side of the spring and the slide just barely reaches full battery when cycling the slide by hand. If you got one of the proto's you're probably o.k., although they wanted me to tell anyone who has one that Sprinco would be willing to modify the unit if you were having a problem.

BTW, My P220 recoil reducer has a bushing that the guide rod slides in as it passes through the front of the slide. That is a really great unit, however this unit is touching the metal of the slide. Have you noticed any unusual wear on the guide rod hole or on the guide rod itself?

-Red-

"Quick" question...

I've handled the standard P99's, and understand how the decocker works on the DA/SA, but how does it work/feel on the QA trigger?

Thanks...

On the QA version the decocker is in the same place. If you press the decocker, the cocking indicator retracts and you cannot pull the trigger until you pull back the slide a little to re-cock it. I guess this would be a way to carry with a round in the chamber if you were real paranoid.

Anyone put any after market add-on's on their P99's?
AGrip? Lithium light?

There aren't a lot of places to talk about the P99. The Walther site has about two english posts on it.

Back