Walther P99 price w/ laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bell

I am looking around for the best price on a Walther P99 9mm. Also, how much does the Walther laser cost? How well does it hold?

Are the 16 cap mags still availible?

Based on the gun shows I have been to recently, $530 to $550 for a P99. The Walther labeled laser is $315 for Magnum power and $372 for Super power. The same laser without the Walther label is probably $50 less. Try Earl's Repair Service for 16 round mags, 978-851-2656. They are $125.

A word of caution. I had a 9mm P99. I sold it after the part of the barrel that the recoil spring lodges against broke.

I also prefer my USP9 to the P99. It has less recoil and I shoot it much better. The Walther shot low for me; the USP is much closer to point of aim.

A good site for all things Walther is www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/index.html

Cawdor,
The part of the barrel you are talking about is called "the bottom barrel lug". Walther P99's are also plagued with weak strikers (they break) and the .40's have a problem of the slide locking open with rounds still in the mag. I know, the slide on my P99 .40S&W still does this after numerous "fixes". My friends P99 9mm has broken two strikers so far.

Gun Plumber,

Does your friend dry fire his P99?

I also had two strikers break. Earl thought it was due to dry firing. I stopped dry firing and the strikers stopped breaking. However, I am not certain that dry firing was the cause. Walther has strengthened the striker, and my third striker was one of the strengthened strikers. Moreover, I wrote Walther in Germany. Walther told me that the P99 was designed to meet the specifications of the German Police, one of which was 5,000 dry fires using snap caps, and that the P99 was one of two pistols to pass the tests. (I think the other is the USP Compact.) Given this, the 400 or so dry fires I did on each striker should not have caused the failure.

By the way, have you heard of any other barrel lug failures?

Cawdor,
I think he probably does some dry firing. Any modern semi-auto should be able to handle a good amount of dry firing without any harm. Your broken barrel lug is the first I have heard of. I like alot of the features of my P99 but the fact that I can't trust the slide lock/release limits it's use to the range and nowhere else!

I bought a P-99 in .40 with the laser sight.
Both have worked w/o any problems but the only complaint I have with the laser is its power source.
The laser unit is made by Laser Devices, Inc., an American company, but for some reason it uses a French battery that is a real pain to find.
It's a 1/2AA 3.6v Lithium made by a company called SAFT that goes for about $13 a piece, if you can find it.
So far, I have been unable to find an equivalent made by any other manufacturer.
So FWIW, if you're hung up on getting that laser, try to find one that runs on a duracell or something similar that's easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back