Walther P99 - Piece of High Tech Junk or The Way Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike H

So is the P99 as incredible to own and shoot as it looks or is it just a side note in the development of the semi-auto.

I heard it won gun of the year someplace, then read that it has one of the WORST DA trigger actions on any modern semi, sooooo long as to be a positive pain in the rear when shooting that all important first round out, and how do those weird pressure plates for de-cocking etc work in practice ? So is it over priced rubbish or the "must have " piece for Y2K ? Opinions please.

------------------
Mike H

I bought a P99 40 in July, and I really enjoy shooting this gun. The gun fits my hand wonderfully, and everyone that I've let handle the gun makes the same comment. I like being able to cock the gun by pulling the slide back 3/16" of an inch. The DA trigger pull doesn't bother me, and I like the SA pull a lot.

I wouldn't say that the gun is so innovative that it's a "must have", but it seems reliable, comfortable to hold and shoot, very accurate, and nice looking, too.

That being said, I also own an HK USP Compact 40, and at this point, I don't know which one I'd keep if I could only have one gun.

Recently purchased a P-99/9mm last month. Wnated an all German gun before any S&W parts found their way into it. Was actually going to buy a Glock G24 just to see what all the talk is about Glocks but saw the P-99 there too. Have never really cared one way or the other about Glocks, just want to try it.

The P-99 felt better. True, the DA pull is very long which surprised me but it is a TRUE DA with second strike capabilities. As mentioned, just pull the slide back slightly and you can cock the striker for SA. My hands are average sized but had no problems reaching the de-cocker with my shooting hand thumb without shift too much. Other grip inserts and front sites included. Other than the DA pull, felt it was at least two levels above the Glock so went with it.

I'll still probably get a Glock but its not too high up the list.

To compare, I would say it feels slightly less durable than the HK USPs and SIG P22Xs. I think I would attribute that to the tighter tolerances and manufacturing from Walther. The plastic recoil spring guide rod is a bit of a thumbs down but I'm sure it'll hold up as the stresses are mostly longitudinal rather than radial. Haven't tried putting pre-ban P-88 mags into it to see if they will function. It's a keeper. Helps complete my modern German handgun collection. Dang but those guys can make some good solid fuel exothermic lead pushers.

- Ron V.

------------------

I also own the Walther P99. There are many technical innovations on this gun which tries to improvement on earlier polymer designs, especially the repeatable double action and decocker. It has much nicer fit, finish and apperance than the Glock 17. But does not appear to be as business like. The Glock 17 is not called "combat Tupperware" for nothing.

Also the Walther seems to prefer hotter loads, especially the 9mm version,due to the very strong springs used in the gun (almost .40 like). It is not high tech junk, many of the design changes are based on limitations of older design (such as you cannot press the trigger to fire the striker twice on the Glock). And the grip is very functional.

------------------
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Ergonomically wonderful and accurate as all get out. With a little practice the trigger pull is less of a problem than you might think. I prefer the original P model to the SW one. SW model just does not feel right.
I'm told that there is a target spring that is reddish in color for 115 gr 9mm.
Light color is for 124gr and above on 9mm.
I shot the P model in the .40 but I like the 9mm better.
You can also get a laser for it now. Let's face it.... It's a Walther and you can't go wrong with it.IMHO.
It's the way forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back