Walther P99 DAO vs S&W 5906

thequickad

Which one should I recommend to a beginner? CDNN has the P99 DAO (9mm or 40SW) for $399 and the 5906 for $350. Both are good deals and I am inclined to recommend the 9mm for less recoil, But I am concerned about the Double Action Only trigger maybe too heavy on the Walther. :)

I have an SW99 I like pretty well, but I wouldn't want a DAO version due to the long, odd trigger pull. I've also got an old S&W 9mm (M59) that's a good gun. I'd probably go with the S&W if I had to pick between the two you mentioned. But I'd much rather have a CZ-75 for roughly the same price (or less) than either of them. I really like the CZ-75 compact PCR (compact alloy frame model).

I've heard the EAA Witness pistols are also pretty good (though I don't have experience with them). I think, especially for a beginner, you will be frustrated trying to hit what you shoot at with a DAO pistol. I have several of them (Kel-tecs) that I like for their light weight and compactness, but I consider them very close range self-defense guns - not a lot of fun to shoot.

Doug

I just ordered one of the Walthers from CDNN last night. From what I understand, the trigger is similar to a Glock trigger. For the price, you can't beat it!

Mike

Both are sound pieces.

I have a P99 and I have shot/owned my share of S&W autos. I believe that either would be a sound choice.

The advantage to the 5906 is the availibility of 15 round mags.

My P99 is a great gun and fits my hand all three of its backstraps.

There's a lot of folks who are supporting a ban of S&W, but keep in mind that S&W is the importer of Walther now. Yer damned if ya do and yer damned if you don't in that case!

Derek

Of all the canned peaches that I have tried, I like the ones in heavy syrup the best. They're just good.

- Geico Testimonial

Get the Walther. They're just good.

There's a lot of folks who are supporting a ban of S&W, but keep in mind that S&W is the importer of Walther now. Yer damned if ya do and yer damned if you don't in that case!

Huh? I was under the impression that Interarms imported Walthers...

Gosh I HATE being the last to know!!!

Oh yeah... Get the WALTHER! Especially since it doesn't sound like this person will be handling either before the purchase... the Walther has a much better chance of fitting them comfortably! I've been considering one myself. You just can't beat $399 for such a fine piece of weaponry!

If you have any LE buddies, GT Distributors is currently featuring S&W 5906 trade-ins, with pre-ban mag, from Waco PD for $179.95, with extra mags available for $10. Their phone number is 800-252-8310. Keep in mind these sales are restricted to LE agencies and individual officers ONLY.

Back