Walther P99 DAO Trigger - Any Experience Anyone?

• Thread starter Thread starter faiello5
  • Start date Start date
F

faiello5

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone has shot, or even dry fired the Walther P99 with the DAO trigger, model P990? Is it like the Glock trigger? Please post any experiences, good or bad. Thanks.

Regards,
Frank

[Edited by faiello5 on 01-02-2001 at 04:25 PM]

I had the QA which is DAO, but different than the P990 which is the action that is like the Glock. The QA tensions the striker and negates the take up that you have in the first part of the trigger pull in a Glock. It feels heavy at first, until you fire a few rounds. After getting the hang of it, there were no probs. Actually the system was pretty sweet. But the rest of the gun was a mess and I traded it for a Glock. Recoil in the .40 Walther was sharper than that of a G23, and when my frame cracked, that was all that I needed to get rid of the Walther. Hope this helps.

Be Safe
Mike

One,

Were you using custom loads when your fram cracked? I would also like to know where the fram cracked.

Faiello5,

Are you wanting to know information on the P99QA? I assumed you were talking about that model as opposed to the action on the P99/SW99 model.

Gunpowder, I am interested in the P990 which is the constant pull DAO trigger as opposed to the QA.

Sorry not used it. Haven't looked at them since I bought my SW99 a year ago. I like it but wish it was a Wather now that *&* made their arrangement.

I do like the way the grip is adjustable to personalize the fit.

Mike

faello5,

I have a Walther P990 that I just purchased from CDNN. I also have a P99 with the original trigger. If you have handled the original P99, the trigger on the P990 is EXACTLY like the double action pull on the original P99. If you've never handled the original P99, I can only compare the P990 trigger pull to a revolver in double action mode.
I was not really sure what to expect when I ordered the P990, but I am happy with my purchase. The day I received it, I did'nt think that I would be able to shoot well with it at all. But to my delight, I surprised myself when I took it to the range last week and shot really well with it. I fired 100 rds 115 gr American Eagle and 50 rds 115gr Georgia Arms Gold Dot ammo without a hitch, the pistol functioned flawlessly. My only complaint is that after about 100 rounds, my trigger finger was getting alittle raw from pulling the DAO trigger! But I was getting good tight shot groups with it. For the $399 that I paid for it, I'm pleased. Are you thinking about buying one from CDNN too? They are a good company to deal with if you are, very quick delivery. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

Mike

gunpowder

All rounds fired were factory approx 250rds. Consisted of about 75rds of 155 Pro-Load and the rest Magtech and PMC. The split was along the front light rail, running horizontally about an inch long. There were also smaller cracks, one above and one below, running parallel to the big one. This was examined under a high magnification glass and they were indeed cracks. My dealer made me a swap and the Walther was taken care of as far as I know.

Be Safe
Mike

gunpowder, Tomkins Inc of England owns both Walther and S&W. Walther was not named in the same pending suit as S&W, or you can bet they would have the same Klinton Kontract. The frame on your SW99 is made by Walther, and the top end is made by Smith. I have found the triggers and accuracy better on the Smiths. Also, S&W service is still top notch if you would ever need it. I sent a PPK into Walther one time for repair, wouldn't feed anything. It took forever, and they charged me for every little thing.

Ghillie

GHILLE,

My SW99 has already been to the repair center once. It had a sloppy slide and shot low. The slide is much better but it still seems to shoot low but their test paper shows it as being centered. Therefore it is my shooting technique.

Excellant repairs which I noticed were contracted out. Bad management though.

Cawdor, right you are, Walther of Germany is owned by Umarex. Walther USA is owned by Tomkins. All Walthers imported into the US come into 2100 Roosevelt Rd, ie, S&W. All American Walthers are made on the S&W grounds. S&W absorbed the sole importation in 1999 after the Interarms restructuring. Therefor, all Walthers made in the US, and all Walthers brought into the US, are controlled by Tomkins. If Walther USA were named in the same suit as S&W, all Walthers made/imported would surely have had the same b.s. stipulations as Smiths. I was trying to make the point that even if you buy a Walther in the US, Tomkins still gets the money.
http://www.walther-usa.com

Ghillie

Ghillie, you are incorrect. Tomkins does NOT control Walther USA, and Walther USA is not affected by S&W agreement. And all Walthers made in USA are NOT made at S&W (the PPKs are made in Georgia, see the Walther History Video that comes with the Y2K P99 or is available seperately). S&W and Walther USA have a DISTRIBUTION agreement for Walther pistols made in Germany or USA. That is the extent of the agreement. Here is their answer that was posted in the Walther Forum:

Walther USA LLC is a stand-alone company; run separately from Smith & Wesson, and is not bound by the terms and conditions of the Smith & Wesson agreement of March 17, 2000.

Carl Walther GmbH, Germany

May 31, 2000

Don't believe me? Email Walther USA or Earl at Earl's Repair Service at http://www.waltherusa.Net.

Regards,
James

[Edited by Extremist on 01-14-2001 at 06:24 PM]

Back