Walther P99: 40 or 9mm?

buzz_knox

I have this burning desire to pick up a P99. Maybe I've watched the new Bond movies one too many times. But, the question remains: which is the better caliber. With .40, you get a moderately larger round and more effective use of the 10 round limit. With 9mm, it's cheaper, easier to use, more accurate, and the original caliber. For now, I'm disregarding the hi-cap issue (my fiance would kill me if she knew I was plopping down $89-100 per mag). Any suggestions?

Buzz:
I have a P99 9mm and after shooting with it for several months using different grips and sights that cames with the gun I came to the conclusion that i can not shoot crap with it period. The trigger pull is extreamily long (from East to west coast). Plus, they give you all these little parts to play with that only gets you confused. Do not get me wrong the gun is well built and made for combat. But if you want a gun that is staight out of the box accuracte, go with the G23 or G19. I also have both and they are excellant shooters. One thing I like about the P99 though is the decocer on the slide which puts the gun in double action mode. Well if you want a like NEW P99 i have one and it is for sale. E-mail me if you want it. I paid over $600 for it. I will sell you mine for $425 oh by the way bond never shot the P99 in the movie and if he did he will probably miss ! hahaha

Actually, Bond shot the P99 extensively in both films. Normally with the off-hand (a HK PDW usually filling the other one), and without using the sights. The P99 must be inherently accurate (self-guiding bullets?) to hit the target everytime using those techniques.

I had one in 9mm and liked it a lot, the trigger was a bit strange in the beginning-but got used to it. I ended up selling it, to finance an expensive rifle- but now I just ordered another one in 9mm (can get nice 16rd mags for it). I found its accuracy to be just as good as almost any other stock 9mm.

Also, with the stock barrel on my Glock 32C- the gun isn't very accurate. I'm not a marksman by any means, but I have been shooting long enough to realize when a gun isn't the most accurate hole puncher. I would not have spent over $200 on a Bar Sto barrel if I didn't think there was a problem. Don't get me wrong, I like the Glock- but also like the P99, and I love my Steyr M40.

[This message has been edited by JG (edited January 14, 2000).]

If you are limited to post-ban 10 roind magazines I would recommend the .40 S?W. Ten rounds of .40 S&W are more effective than 10 rounds of 9mm. Steer clear of h-icap magazines. You do not want your fiance to be guilty of justifiable homicide!

buzz_knox: I have 3 P99's - 2 in 9mm and 1 in .40 caliber. I have found the 9mm's to be exceptionally accurate with a wide range of standard 115 gr. ammo and particularly with CorBon 115 +P ammunition. I actually prefer the long DA for carry, particularly for my girlfriend or daughter who lack extensive training. The SA takes about 15 minutes to adjust to, and the SA break is actually pretty nice. I love the ergonomics, and the wide notch rear sight works well for fast shooting, but is precise enough to put 10 rounds in a 50 cent piece at 50'. The 9mm's won't chamber 124 gr. Gold Dots, and the .40's demonstrate a problem with the slide locking open with rounds in the mag. My .40, of recent production, demonstrated that gremlin after 500 rounds. I sent it back to Smith and it was returned within 10 days. It arrived yesterday and, weather and workload permitting, I'll shoot it this afternoon to determine if the problem has been solved. I also shoot Glocks and, like you, find it hard to choose between the two. Ultimately, I like the P99 for its sights, ambidextrous mag release and DA trigger. That makes it perfect for some applications. I like the Glock's general reliability and +P+ capability. Lately, I find myself carrying the slick P99mm in a Hume beltslide when I don't want the weight and width of my alloy 1911. With 17 rounds of CorBon, the P99 still is almost unnoticeable and conceals easily under and untucked shirt. Of the two calibers, I think the P99 in 9mm, particularly with hi-caps, is a better choice than the still teething .40. YMMV.

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words. I hope this link works...

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dmc235

After this opens a new window, go to "my photo album".

This is with my SW99, not the Walther, and this is better than what I normally shoot with my HK USP .40.

This was 10 rounds with Winchester 155 Silvertips.

[This message has been edited by dmc235 (edited January 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dmc235 (edited January 14, 2000).]

Get the .40, Buzz. The ammo isn't that much more expensive. Take a look at the numbers. Commonly at or near 500 pounds muzzle energy, it will go a LOT further when penetration becomes an issue due to heavy clothing. Energy is identical to the almighty **snic** .45 auto, only it gets there today. This drops 9mm down to the "plinker" catagory. 40 is well past "teething", it is a tried and true round of the 21st century.

------------------
The Bible is my lawbook. I turn the other cheek when applicable, and spend the rest of my days resisting evil at every front, until I have breathed my last breath.

Fastforty: Perhaps I wasn't clear. My reference to the "teething" problems was not directed to the caliber, but the weapon. Premature slide lock problems have plagued the P99's chambered in .40 caliber ONLY. A search of this forum and DejaNews will confirm this. I experienced the problem in my .40, not my 9mm, P99's. As I stated, the problem still occurs in .40 caliber pistols of recent production. We'll see if the warranty shop has the proper fix. Ad interim, I would continue to endorse the 9mm variation over the current .40 caliber production from the standpoint of function, reliability, etc. It's tough to deliver the "tried and true round of the 21st Century" if they remain in the magazine when the slide prematurely locks open.

Get the 9mm!!! :)
The weapon was originally designed for the cartridge. The chambering for 40SW was appearently added as an after thought to make the gun attractive to the American market.

My P99 (in 9mm) shoots like a dream. It does not like the 124gr Speer Golddot though, they have a tendency to get stuck in the weapon,and lock it up!!! I like mine so much that I have retired my beloved Ruger P95 to the safe, and use my P99 as my primary carry gun!!! :) :) Get one, they are excelent guns. :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Back