Walther P99 .40 Experiences wanted

huge

I recently purchased a Walther P99 9mm for my girlfriend. I shot it Monday night and came away very impressed with its features, accuracy, and function. I am considering a Walther P99 .40 for me and would appreciate reports of reader's actual experiences with the Walther (not the SW) P99 in this caliber, particularly with respect to reliability, specific malfunctions, remedies, etc. With all due respect, this is not a request for arguments for/against Walther's vs. Sigs, Glocks, Steyrs, H&K's, 1911's, etc. I'm not debating the stopping power of the 9mm vs. a .40, .45. 10mm, or 50 BMG. Nor am I seeking info obtained second or third hand from discussion groups, gun rags, gunshop counters, etc., or a discussion of the merits of the P99's particular (and somewhat peculiar) features. I'm specifically looking for information about experiences with feeding or exraction problems, bulged brass, parts breaking, or the slide locking open prematurely. Actual experience from owners who have shot this pistol for more than 100 rounds or more would be very helpful. My decision process does not involve buying another brand/model in lieu of the Walther, but deciding if I want another 9mm or .40. I truly appreciate the experiences of this board. God bless.

I have the 40 cal version and have had some problems with the slide locking back prematurly. My brother in law has the 9mm version and has had no problems at all. I called S&W (who currently does the service on Walthers) and they said it was a common problem and they would fix it for me if I sent them the pistol (I haven't done it yet). Over all though, I've found the gun to be very accurate and fun to shoot. I don't know how but you can get 40cal p99 "preban 12round" mags from KY imports for $99. They may have the slide lock thing worked out now I got mine when they were first introduced.

Theo

Theo - Thanks for the report. You say you purchased yours when they were first introduced. Could you share what range serial number you have? Perhaps later versions have been fixed...
God bless.

Back