Walther P5

Status
Not open for further replies.

loknload

Hello All,

Anyone out there have any thoughts and expierience with the Walther P5 ? I'am possibly considering one for future purchase.
Any input would be appreciated

------------------
gun control is people control

Instead of the P5, I would recommend either the P88 or the P99. But, I am not sure that the P88 is still available in this counry. I know that you can still get it in Deuchland.
The P99 is obtainable, and is a very fine handgun. In addition, the P99 can be had in 40SW if that is your thing. Personally, I prefer 9mm. Anyway, you asked for input, so there it is.

Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,there's no such thing as owning just one gun!

Yes - BUY IT NOW. I have the P5 compact (actually my wife does...). The P5 has a slightly longer barrel and a more pronounced hammer than the P5C.

The barrel design of the P5 makes it a tack driver. The front of the barrel assembly is on a set of pinned "rails" within the slide itself. This beautiful design ensures that the barrel returns to the exact same position after each cycle of the slide.

The P5 has NO safeties, which I like, but is a safe pistol as the firing pin is not engaged until either the trigger is pulled all the way through or the hammer is manually pulled back in single action fashion.

I have several pistols and to be honest, for a CCW gun the P5 takes the cake. Very slim, all metal, highly accurate. Take one apart and look at that barrel design!

There is one negative. The P5 chamber is designed with a very small "free bore" space (the space in the barrel just forward of the chamber that does not have rifleing). This makes the wepaon very picky about the ammo it will feed. It was specifically designed for military "ball" ammo. Hollow points will not feed properly in this gun. I have tried about 10 different types and weights of hollowpoint bullets to no **reliable** avail. To this end, when we "carry" the weapon, there is one HP in the pipe and FMJ's in the magazine. Other than this drawback it is probably the best all around carry weapon I have ver encountered - including my beloved HK USP Compact (I'm still loyal to her... ;))

I highly recommend the P5.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, LEAA, NRA and vote!

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input,and will take all into consideration. Since the cost of these are more then usual for new this purchase may not happen until after the holidays, unless the Mrs. really decides to get me something super duper for Christmas. Which in that case I have a better chance of seeing Elvis.
Another question that has me baffled, Who is manufacturing Walther arms in this country. I thought that Interarms was just an importer. And as of recent according to their web sight they no longer have any connection to Walther. All service is being sent to S&W and I believe someone else whos name evades me at this moment. Any thoughts on this. I may have read something on this and just forgot? Brain fade? Thanks..........

------------------
gun control is people control

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited November 29, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back