Walther P5 - Anyone Own or Use One

Mike H

Guys,

There is a possibilty that I may have to use a Walther P5 in an inter-departmental European pistol shooting competition.

Needless to say the competition is not being held in Britain and I have yet to be selected as one of the 3 shooters representing the British team, but I received the competition details today via e-mail and noted that the issued weapon will be the Walther P5 in 9mm. We will shoot it in 3 disciplines :

1. 10m and 25m bullseye and silhouette
2. Combat range shooting (whatever that is)
3. Computer simulated shooting using the FATS (Firearms
Training simulator)

I have researched the P5 in the various web sites devoted to Walther pistols, and it seems to be a nice compact sized weapon that is reported to have good accuracy. Question is, does anyone here own one or have you had the use of one. If so, any experiences or opinions on the weapon would be appreciated as I'm curious now, even if I don't end up getting selected.

Regards,

Mike H

Walther P5

Mike, I have one that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. Believe it or not it's still in the box unfired, Just never took it out. I like the gun fit and feel. I understand its an updated P38. They also made a P5compact wihich I believe is becoming hard to come by. Both guns,from past reports here are suppose to be great shooters. If CMOS still posts here he and his wife use them for CC guns if I remember correctly. If he picks up on this he will bw able to let you know how they shoot. All in all for what I have unfired I like it, One of these days it will get to the range,it just got put on the bottom of the pile and never moved up:D One thing that I read about them that was not highly likeable was that it had the mag release in the butt
of the gun.
Hope this helps;) and good luck with your competition

Mike, I own one (the P5 Compact actually, which is quite similar to the P5). They are tack drivers and magnificent works of German engineering. Field strip one when you get the chance and you'll see the very detailed and expensive machining that was done on both the barrel assembly and the slide. Quite impressive.

The only thing I do not prefer on the P5 is the European mag release, which is located on the bottom of the grip. The P5 Compact has the US button release just behind the trigger guard. The multifunction **flush** lever for slide release AND decock is a masterpiece on design. If the slide is locked back, the first depression of the lever will drop the slide, the next depression will decock.

Take a look at my web site down in my "signature" for some pictures of my P5c. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

You're going to love the P5!

CMOS

I've used/shot a P5 for more than a year now and find it to be a reliable, extra-accurate firearm. It's particularly well-suited for left-handers.

If you've never shot one, you'll find out that the pull of the trigger "lifts" the firing pin into position (ordinarily it falls out of line for safety), so you essentially have a two-stage trigger. Since I prefer two-stage triggers, this is fine with me.

It's a tilting-block action, like the P-38 of WWII fame and the current Beretta 92 series. A bit of grease or oil on the "ears" of the blocks seems to sure most feed problems I've encountered with that type of locking action.

It sits well in my hand and I find it to be very comfortable to shoot, even with full-power loads.

Best of luck with your competition,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

My friend has one, and I have shot it. It's a sweet gun.:) One word of caution though, DO NOT try to feed it Gold Dots. It does not like Gold Dots. Gold Dots jam the poor little beast!!!! With that said, good luck, have fun, and WIN!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys,

If I get the call to arms I may just pester you for more user operating info on the P5, I'll also post my results no matter how lousy they are ;)

Regards

Mike H

CMOS...

The pictures on the P5 Compact on your site are broken. Damn, now you guys have gotten me interested in this thing, and I can't find out much about them...

I will add praises for the P5. I bought a regular P5 when I lived in Germany and it is a very nice shooting pistol. I actually bought it because this was a special package that came with a second barrel assembly in .30 Luger and the mags are marked with both calliber designations.

I have fired it in both caliber's and it is a very smooth shooting and accurate pistol.

joegerardi, the P5 pics on my site are working just fine. Must be somehting with your browser or ISP?...

CMOS

Back