Walther P38?

ar-180

Are these still being made in Germany? Who out there has a P38? War time production or commercial example? What do I look for when examining one of these guns, what wears out? What are the prices like in your area? Please help, need information to satisfy this P38 desire!

Hello. Don't know if they're still being made or not, but do have an old WWII P-38. It's not particularly accurate, but is reliable. I like them, but don't think I'd load the hotter stuff in the older guns. Being light on the muzzle end, they do have some "flip" when being fired, but certainly are not "bad." Best.

Production stopped in the mid-90's, probably do to difficulty in competing with hi-cap nines. Most P-38s I see are WW2 surplus and post-war West German army P1s. The WW2 guns are going up in price as collectors pieces and the P1s go for $300 and up. They are good but dated guns.

Run of mine wartime P.38's are going for $400-500 and going up since they are now primarily collector's items. Best bet would be the online auctions like auctionarms and local gun shops, as well as gun shows and Shotgun News ads.

Look for early years, 1941-1943 for a good wartime gun. 1945 and late 1944 guns are often of poorer quality, but functional. Walther (ac) is best, followed by Mauser (byf) and Spreewerk (cyq). Matching numbers are almost necessary for a gun to have any value, but some mismatched ones do all right as shooters. As with any collector gun, finish is important. Many guns captured on the East front have been brought back from Russia and Eastern Europe. These are refinished and some parts replaced, may be mismatched or "force matched" by renumbering parts, but again may do as shooters or an example of the pistol.

HTH

Jim

Thanks guys, I will be on the look out for a commercial example. It seems as if they might be the best bet, as I can probably find a beautifully made and finished pistol for less money than a rougher, but more collectable, wartime example. Again, thanks for your replies.

Brothers & Sisters-at-Arms,
Ar-180,
I will forward some addresses and ph.#'s to you regarding the best dealers in my area. I am rather fond of my experience with this weapon.
Quite a few forum respondents will ask "What's the best..." or "What gun should I buy for my...". My standard response is, and will always be, to test fire a piece of whatever they feel comfortable with, or think they like, before buying.
Personal shooting styles and variables such as control and adaptability cannot be deemed by personal preference from one shooter to another.
So the P-38 doesn't hold but 8 rounds in a standard magazine. (I've found fifteen round mags, if you must know.)
That little "flip" which Mr. Camp alluded to is something I find acceptable.
I hope you find the P-38 as much to your liking as I have found it to mine. If not then you will probably, at least, appreciate the history behind it.
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

I have one. I am not sure but I think it is one of the police turn in guns. Out of everything in my safe, I would say that P-38 would be the one least likely to be fired. There is nothing wrong with it, it just doens't pull my chain in any way. I understand wanting one however.

Dear ar-180,
You'll have to e-mail me regarding the info for a dealer.
The latest restrictions would tend to preclude mentioning dealer's info or promoting products, et al. I can respect that.
Click on my profile and gimme a blurb.
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Back