WALTHER P22 Q - Anyone have experience with it

triplebike

I'm looking for another 22 rimfire auto, strictly for fun. Was at my LGS this afternoon picking up the only range ammo they have, 22lr. I noticed that they had the above in stock. Does anyone have any experience with it. Yay or nay, I can handle the truth. I shoot my 22's a lot, a real lot and in these times shooting my 22's so much I really need it to hold up under heavy usage. I put well over 1000 22rds down range in three days this week.

Yes – a very bad experience; it’s a truly dreadful gun, endless malfunctions, including a non-working safety.

I owned version one of the P22 and it was fine, although some people complained about ammo issues. The current version is better. Grip texture enhancement, less picky regarding ammo types and grain weights. The true competitor to the P22 is the Ruger SR22. Outwardly, it appears to be a ripoff of the Walther. It is reportedly a better gun. However, you can't beat Walther customer service!

I had one of the early P22s and had no trouble with it. The #2 grandson talked me out of it years ago and has had no problems with it and he's one of those shoot as fast as it will shoot and do it again types.

I came to regret letting go of the Walther and found a Ruger SR22. There is very little difference between the two, just controls. and the Ruger has given no problems at all either. I have a great grand daughter that has designs on my little Ruger and eventually she will get it. She just needs a few years.

I can't find many people who had an issue with their P22 who would fess up to using CCI mini mags.

My 2007 P22 is still going strong and the manual says so use high velocity ammo to cycle.

The current version should be as good.

I have had a P22 Walther for somewhere past 10 years. The only function problems have been ammo related. It runs great on most high velocity, 36gr HP, or 40gr solid point. Accuracy is good with Remington Golden Bullet, and excellent with CCI Mini Mags. Other brands are less accurate, but work well.
Tye biggest problem I have had with the little Walther is it gets me in trouble because when it goes along to the range I end up spending an extra hour or so shooting it addition to what ever else I took to shoot.
But, get ready for the "potmetal patrol" with their dire warnings about how terrible a gun they have never owned, or probably never shot is. The P22 has the Walther name, but is made by Umerex. They use a zinc, aluminum, magnesium, copper alloy called Zamac for the slide. Some of the early models with a steel piece that was attached to the barrel with a set screw had a problem with the slide cracking. Most often because the steel extension was miss aligned, and the Zamac slide slammed against it.
Fun little guns, and in my experience very reliable. Ended kerping a round count somewhere in the mid, single digit thousands.

As an alternative have you checked out the PPQ 22? I have the 5" model and it performs admirably.

Back