Walther P-99 in 40SW(at first blush)

Mikie

I checked out this piece at the local gunshop yesterday. I like the 40 caliber and always am looking at other guns in this caliber.

1) The ergonomics were real good. The grip felt good in my hand, nice balance, good trigger reach etc. and it pointed well. I wasn't too crazy at all of the sharp angles of the slide and how thick this piece is.

2) I liked the fact that there were no external control devices. The decocker was below flush in the slide and out of the way.

3) Trigger was different than anything I've experienced. Long, but smooth DA; I liked the warning of the striker appearing at the back of the slide as you approached the breaking point. After the first shot, there's a strange two stage SA; a click brings you past the takeup of the slack, to a reasonably crisp SA release. This would take some getting used but I could learn to like it.

4) With the slide back, I looked into the chamber and the feed ramp looks a bit anemic(narrow). This leads me to one question for you P99 owners. Is this gun finicky about ammo? I shoot mostly reloads(only way I could afford this hobby) and am used to the reliablity of the USP40C and the Glock 23. They chamber everything from LSWCs to large mouth JHPs like the Speer Gold Dots.

If you have owned the P99 for a while and reload for it I'd like to hear from you. Also what do you think of the similar SW99?

Thanks, guys.

Mikie

------------------

Back