Walther P-38 safety rumor (?)

Lavan

I have a mint byf44 P-38 (believe it was unfired until I shot it)
Several years ago I read that using the hammer drop safety on a wartime P-38 will break the hammer block.
Is this true? I have had several Walthers and I hold the hammer on each one when I put the safety on.
Is it necessary or an old wives tale?

There is basis to this. Late WW2 P-38's (or small parts) were made in factories that employed slave labor. I have mainly heard of it with Spreewerks guns, but have no evidence. The workers either deliberately, or through wartime shortages, sabotaged machining or heat-treating. Last ditch weapons are better left as display. I would not really say 1944 was last ditch though. However, if it is as pristine as you say, why not just be cautious. :)

I have heard of this happening, and actually saw a block break. Fortunately, it was at the range and was at the conclusion of the shooting session as the shooter was lowering the hammer after inspecting the weapon to put it away. The muzzle was downrange even if it went off. The gun was one of the SVW reworks assembled from parts.

The original Walther HP had a safety that prevented the hammer from contacting the firing pin, like the PP/PPK pistols. The German Army asked for a change to reduce cost. It is very, very rare for the safety to break, but it has happened.

Jim

Back