Walther P.38 480

John/az2

Harley,

A friend of mine has a Walther P.38 480 serial number 28xx. He says the gun lists at $3500 @ 95%

The gun is at about 90%.

There are many proofing marks(?)...

Anyway, I'd like to know if what he says is true or not.

What other information do you need to make a general determination?

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

John/AZ2

The only Walther P38 I find is the steel frame model and it list in EXC=$1,400.00. there is a model MP found in variations that resemble a large Model pp or the P38. This lists @ $35000.00.

Is the caliber .480 or .380. I find no listing for .480 caliber.

If you had a photo it would be easier to tell what gun we are talking about. If you can provide the markings on the gun we'll see if I or someone on the forum can find out what it is.
HJN

Harley,

Here are some scans of the gun. They will take a while to load.

It's a 9x19 Luger caliber.
http://home.wwdb.org/libertybelle/pics/Image1.jpg

http://home.wwdb.org/libertybelle/pics/Image2.jpg

If needed, I should be able to magnify any part...

Thanks.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited February 11, 2000).]

John/az2, the gun you're describing is a P.38 Zero-Series with the 480 code. This gun was made in 1940 with a serial number range of 1-7,665 with a total of 7,200 being produced. This was the first military contract for the P.38. In 100% condition it could be worth about $4,500 and about $1,150 in 90% condition. Finding a 480 code P.38 in a condition above 90% is considered rare. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

Is the condition % a subjective thing or are there standards to go by?

He (my friend) was telling me that he would ask $2500 for the gun.

Is it hard to tell from the photos if this would be a correct assessment?

Thanks, to you both!

------------------
John/az

Harley,

Btt, I don't know if you saw my follow-up questions.

Thanks!

------------------
John/az

Back