Walther .22 PPKS

Open45

Is there any thing that anyone could advise me on regarding the horrendous double action trigger weight in this gun.
It’s a .22 PPKS. It’s one of the ULM ugh PISTOLS.The SA is fine but the double is unusable , I been thinking of doing some spring cutting or changing possibly
Txs
Charlie

It is heavy, not unusually heavy for a hammer fired DA/SA pistol. Nice and smooth and pretty accurate even on the DA trigger.

attachment.php

The reason for that trigger pull from what I read has to do with reliability. If it’s messed with that could be affected. I own one and agree it is a stiff dbl action trigger pull

Interesting about the DA trigger pull.
Many, many years ago, my father bought a Manurhin PPK/S in 22LR.
Both the DA and SA trigger pulls are quite good and it's a fun, accurate and reliable little pistol!
Maybe keep an eye out for one on sale and swap with the Walter 22LR you have for that?

Small frame revolvers

The small J frame size revolvers have the same issue. There is no option to "fix" the two men and a boy trigger pull.
The healthy whack needed to ignite rimfire primers is the culprit, the geometry of these small guns makes it impossible to have both an acceptable double action pull weight, and reliable ignition.
Interesting and not at all surprising that small frame .22 pistols have the same issue.

I fear that is 1930s lockwork geometry plus rimfire ignition.

An Ulm made .22 might take the centerfire hammer spring as a reduced power option. Wolff will sell a pak of three different ratings for $10.80.

A friend tinkered endlessly with his .380 and ended with the best Walther trigger I have seen.

The strong DA pull is a result of the 1930's design and there's nothing that can be done without a high risk of unreliable ignition.
Installing a lighter mainspring very often results in miss-fires, but you can try one.
Wolff Gun Springs sell lighter springs.

If you do install a spring and get miss-fires, try other brands and types of .22 ammo and if you find one that's reliable and accurate, buy as much of it as you can.

What you have to do is just use it and get used to the strong pull.
After some use you'll stop noticing it.
Then you can have fun handing it to someone and watch as they pull and pull then ask if the safety it on.

A guy here has a .22 PP I think is a surplus British L66A1 bought for the Ulster Defense Regiment in 1974.
He goes mostly Condition 2.

The new models are made by Umarex, which is the Airsoft company that owns Walther.

Lots of zinc in its construction, if you know what I mean

Made in Ulm, Donau now?
If it is one of those springs may be scarce.
I was thinking of the postwar guns mostly by Manurhin but German proofed

"What is the pull weight. A good DA revolver can be made reliable at 10-11lbs, I suspect this can too!"

Nope.
It's a matter of the geometry of the action.
In trying to squeeze so many features into such a small package, the linkage from the trigger to the hammer is at somewhat a mechanical disadvantage that causes a heavy DA trigger pull.
Installing a lighter spring as is usually done to lighten a pistol trigger causes insufficient hammer strike force.

There have been several custom pistolsmiths who've done "nicer" feeing triggers, but even those often have ignition problems, especially in .22LR.

In short, a heavy DA trigger in the PP series pistols is the nature of the beast and endemic to the design.

Dfariswheel hit the nail on the head. The frame size just does not allow the geometry to give the mechanical advantage needed.
A heavy double action trigger is the result. Has nothing to do with wonder materials and age of the design. It is what it is, a lighter trigger will always be accompanied by less than perfect ignition.

Back