Walter PPK/s 22 range report.

Prof Young

First outing was a disappointment. I grabbed a hand full of different 22LR out of the ammo closet, picked up the gun, scanned through the owner's manual and hit the range. Shoot about 200 rounds and could barely get through a whole magazine without a problem. At about 50 rounds I dug into the range bag, found the oil and went to work. No improvement. Failed to feed, stove piped, failed to eject, etc. Not a very satisfying experience.

On the up side, at 7 yards, I could get a two inch group without too much concentration. In general it was shooting high.

Took it home, cleaned and lubed it. Changed the front sight to a taller one.

Second range trip I paid more attention to the ammo I took. (See attached pic.) All of these are 1200 fps or faster. The AE (which until now I didn't realize was a Federal product) is 38 grains, rest are 40. I ran 200 more rounds through the gun. The AE and Aguila had only one jam each out of 50 rounds.
The Thunderbolt was flawless and I could feel the stronger recoil. The Federal Automatch barely ran at all.

So clearly this little gun likes it hot, and prefers copper coated bullets. Oh, and the taller front sight brought my groups much closer to point of aim.

All in all I'm happy with it. Be a good practice gun and range toy.

Merry Christmas one and all.
Prof Young

Attachments

• PPK.jpg
    PPK.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 63
Keep us posted. I found that after break-in my recent PPK/s would eat just about anything but still liked it hot.

Thanks for the report. Its not often someone says something good about Thunderbolt rounds. I always liked them and have shot well over 2000 of them over the years.:)

Yes and . . .

I kinda thought some of the initial problems may have had to do with a break in period.

Thunderbolt has never been my favorite ammo. Seems like more than normal duds. But the PPK/s 22 really likes em.

Not sure what the gun is made of. It's the blued model.

Merry Christmas.

Prof Young

My Walther P22 (different model, i know) liked 36gr CCI minimax but not Minimax 40. weird but true.

Let us know if yours is similarly picky.

When testing, consistency is important.

Start with ammunition in a clean guy. Test.

Clean it. Test with another ammunition.

Rins and repeat.

Never mind it going high until you settle on your ammunition. If it shoots high but the grouping is good, it's GTG (until you change/alter the sights).

Back