Walmart ammo

J11

Inactive
Am just about to buy a Ruger P95DC and am anxiously awaiting the day I'll get to fire it. In talking with
friends, I was told that Walmart had cheap ammo ($6/box)....... Wondered if anyone had any experience
with this ammo.....is it sufficient for target practice?

Thanks for the info

Well, here it is 7 dollars a box for Winchester 9mm in the white box... it shoots, but it sucks. It wasn't the most accurate, and it left alot of unburned powder in my gun. But it is useable... although I probably won't buy it again. Which caliber are you looking for?

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

Got the 9mm Ruger......... if not Walmart ammo......any suggestions....... Understand that you can by
large quantities of ammo from places like "Cabela's" in those watertight army storage boxes....but that, too, is probably cheap stuff.

Since you'll be cleaning your pistol after each range visit you might as well get it really dirty. Walmarts in different areas carry different brands. Here in the Florida panhandle I get 9mm155grs Winchester at $7, UMC and Blazer at $9. I also buy Sellier &Belliot at shows for $6 a box. Never had a single problem with any of these brands. There are a bunch of places you can buy ammo from, perhaps cheaper. Make sure you get info on the company and look into the shipping charges. Sometimes it's no bargain when you factor in lading costs.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Frankly, IMO, if it's a name you recognize (Fed (American Eagle), Rem (UMC), Win (USA), S&B, PMC, etc.) and the price is right, don't worry about it. It should be fine for practice.

I agree with MAL H, if it's a name and the $ is cool, go for it.

Personally, I would figure Walmart to be cheaper in $, but they're not much cheaper than your local.

Also, I find Federal to be the cleanest (American Eagle).

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

J11:

I agree with Mal H and Tec 9 re established, quality brand name ammunition for target shooting and plinking - there are many of these - you do not need premium quality (e. g., HydraShok) for routine range practice.

In addition, I have had good experiences (price, service and quality brand availability) with four Internet firms: Natchez Shooters Supply, Cheaper than Dirt, AmmoMan, and JG Sales. Doubtless, many others can compete favorably with these.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited December 18, 1999).]

Natchez, 800-251-7839, has Sellier and Bellot for 5.39 per box, plus shipping and handling (about $125 for 1000 rounds delivered). It is a little dirty, but it works for me.

I shot the Walmart Winchester ammo out of my Ruger P89 with no problems. I didn't notice that the ammo was any dirtier than others but if you want cleaner ammo, Walmart sells Winchester "Winclean" ammo for about a dollar a box more.

Back