Wally World's Guns

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I've seen a lot of reluctance /resentment on here about buying a rifle at wal-mart or other such shop.

While I respect "keeping the little guy" in business, I have to say that I'll put my money with whoever has the best price, be that wal-mart or a dealer friend of mine.

You can still let your fingers do the walking when you are shopping for a new firearm, prowl the shows looking for the best price etc. And if you are willing to wait a week... wal-mart still sells hand guns, just not "over the counter".

I am not one to buy what I can't see, esp. on a high dollar item, but there is something to be said,esp. for buying a first rifle or shotgun to take advantage of wal-mart's buying power and get your shooter on the cheap.

Now I do like gun shows and make special orders that wal-mart can't fill to keep those little guys in business, as we all should, lest we run out of dealers. ;)

Anyway... just thought I'd mention this.

Dr.Rob

Maybe I'm spoiled, but there are at least three shops near me with better prices than Wally World et. al., and MUCH better service and selection. They also offer or can point one to a good gunsmith, and will special order stuff for me.

Live here in Florida, Wal-Mart locked up their guns for the duration of the storm. They gave me a line about "in case everything is shut down and people break in" meanwhile they are selling everything else.
Guy behind the counter also said they will no longer order handguns.

If you don't want to pay more than MSRP for all of your shooting related items you had better do everything you can to keep the small guy in business! You don't get a call from Wally saying "Hank you need to come down here and see what I have on consignment" Being known and appreciated by a gun shop owner is very valuable.
IMHO Hank
P.S If I find something one of the full price guys in Shotgun News has that my "small guy" can't get from his sources he will give me a signed copy of his FFL and let me make my own mistakes. Firearm is shipped to him, goes in his book, just like if he ordered through a regular distributor execept I pay "the hogs price"

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited September 14, 1999).]

When deciding where to take your business the best price is the equation. You spend your money at Wallmark and they box it up and send it to Arkansas. If you need personalized service you can't go back to only one part of where you bought it as a woman sold it to you who was taxed to the limit to operate the cash register . Normally when you go to a gun shop you are dealing with a small operator who is knowledgeable about the product, he wants your business and will be there when something is needed in the way of support. He spends the money you give him in your community and his taxes help to educate your kids. What I am trying to say is sometimes the bottom line is not what's best for you. If you continue to bypass him he is not going to be there when you need him!

Every gun purchase I have ever considered at Walmart, I've had to go through several guns to find one that does not have some sort of cosmetic defect. I don't know this, but I believe that they buy the manufacturers 2nds on some of the better priced guns particularly on sale.

------------------
"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
- Elie Wiesel 1928

Back